Getting into IT from scratch ... where to start?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by psybience, Sep 11, 2014.

1. psybience

psybience New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been working as a secondary school mathematics teacher for the past 5 years but have decided recently that I don't want to continue with the profession. It's a difficult decision but I've thought long and hard about it and feel that it's the right time, especially as I'm 29 and not getting any younger. In any case I've always had an interest in computers, use the things everyday, have always built my own rigs, configured software, operating systems, networks, etc. All basic stuff I know, but I genuinely enjoy doing it. I don't have any actual work experience though. My degree is in mathematics and whilst I enjoy the subject, I do regret not getting into computing when I had the chance. :(

In any case I'm currently doing supply teaching which frees up a lot of time, allowing me to pursue this career change. I've been using my free time to read about the IT industry at large, how the job market is structured and whats available, what certifications I need etc. I've begun studying for the CompTIA A+ cert as a starting point and about 1 month in. I'm finding very straight forward and familiar and have no issues self-studying from a book. Just to get my head around job applications, I've applied to some positions (about 30 so far) and got zero replies as expected.

I'm fully aware that this is going to be a very difficult and time consuming project, but it's something I'm genuinely excited about and committed to doing, even if it takes years to achieve. My current supply teaching work is enough to keep me afloat and fund anything I need to do. My aim is to get into a 1st line support role (however small) and heading towards networking in the long run, as this is what interests me most. As I said, I have no experience whatsoever, no contacts and really don't know anyone who works in the industry. I've been reading into it as much as I can on the internet (and will continue to do so) but still feel like I'm jumping into a giant black chasm. I would therefore, really appreciate your advise on the matter.

Am I on the right path? What certifications should I be looking at next? Should be applying for jobs at this stage, before getting certified? Whats the best method/place for finding IT jobs? Am I crazy for doing this?

Whatever advice or input you can give, please do. Thank you! :D

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ever thought about programming and things like Matlab and Python ?

There are many roles where your mathematics and teaching background would be a real asset.

Data Scientist, Functional Consultant, IT trainer, Quant, Software Engineer, Programmer, etc.

Are you interested in Big Data, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Scientific computing, HPC ?

Have you looked at places like coursera, edx, pluralsight ?

PM me if you want a chat.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014