Getting bored of Steve F*cking Jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm getting fairly annoyed with Steve Jobs at the moment.

I have a couple of AVI's I want to be able to run on my iPad and, surprise surprise, iTunes will not play AVI formats.

I can't understand this to be honest. AVI is a fairly well known, widely-used format so there is no reason I can see for this arbitrary decision. At least with Flash, they had some sort of logic for refusing to do it. Flawed logic in my opinion, but logic nonetheless.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

this has NEVER been supported in iTunes
    we are at version 10 :)
    just throw it in a .mp4 container if you have the app to do that or run it through handbrake

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Steve jobs has taken a leave absence due to health reasons a few months ago i believe. He will probably add it to the new ipod/pad/phone like its something revolutionary and new as he has done before with video calling.

On another note whatever happened to Cisco suing Apple over the use of the name iphone.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What was revolutionary about video calling on the whiPad? It had been around for aeons before crApple 'invented' it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Its revolutionary, because the word "revolutionary" has been in every apple marketing leaflet since the company started. I can't even remember which of my crappy old mobiles first supported video calling it was that long ago.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

VLC is available for iPad for free as it is on all the other platforms they code for, it plays almost every codec and container you can think of (almost!)

Search for VLC on iTunes store, or got to http://www.videolan.org.

Cheers

T.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  7. Fergal1982

I tried to fire it through handbrake, using the iPad option on the right, but the quality was fairly bad. It looked (in certain sections - apparently where there was movement) like every other "line" was missing. Any suggestions on how to set it up so that the image quality looks pretty good?

Every time I encounter something like this, it makes me consider more and more switching back to non-Apple. It's just bloody stupid.

The iPad2 has already been announced. Its thinner, lighter, faster (apparently), and has front and rear cameras. Nothing particularly exciting to be honest.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

iPad 2 is great for people who don't already have one, but I was looking for something more compelling (especially more storage) before I would consider upgrading.

For me the 5mm less in size or the 2 ounces less that it weighs are cool but not upgrade material. I no interest video calling on the iPad either.

Try VLC, I'm sure you'll find it'll work a treat, if not there are two or three other video players that range between free and a few pounds.

T.

9. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

For me it was the HTC (Kaiser?) back when Windows Mobile was the only real smartphone OS player in the game. Slide out keyboard etc.

T

10. Fergal1982

Cheers. I'll take a look.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Indeed.
    I think it was Charlie Brooker that pointed out that, due to its weight, you couldn't hold it up for an average conversation and so had to rest it on your lap. So the person you were talking to would just get a faceful of your nostrils.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

shouldn't it be called the Ipad 1.5 or something its not really worth a whole version number.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. Fergal1982

agreed.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This. Personally I wish Steve Jobs would **** off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Guys! Chill out!

I agree he's an obnoxious arrogant pr**k but I can't see how it justifies you, IT professionals, slagging him off on public forum.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  16. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

You know your getting with apple, you either buy into it or you don't, Plus he helped pixar become what they are today :thumbleft

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  17. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Madness Fergal and IMHO a very bad move because as you say, avi is very popular.

We have some really heated debates regarding Apple in our office. I'm neither for them or against them and am a "why argue, just buy one of each" kinda guy but for some reason, Apple stirs up a lot of "discussion" don't you find? I think its perhaps the devotion of their follwers, which seems really full on compared to your average person who uses Windows, thinks it does the job but doesn't care really.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  18. Fergal1982

A lot of people do get very fanboi-ish over Apple. I cant refute that they provide a very polished experience - the UI is top notch, and their policies ensure that the entire platform runs well and smoothly. Providing, of course, that you are happy to stay within the confines that they place. If you want to stray off the beaten path, you are SOL.

I personally think that they should provide options on the devices: "Install unapproved apps" and "Install flash". Disable these by all means, and add a big page clearly stating that they cannot guarantee the user experience if either of these is turned on. But give me the option at the very least.

I never understand why they haven't been hauled up on anti-trust issues either to be honest. They refuse to allow anything but Safari to run on their mobile devices (any attempts to get Opera, or Firefox approved in the app store has been refused in the past). MS provided IE by default on their PC's, but still allowed installation of other browsers - and they got hauled over the coals for it.

19. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Very good point mate, in fact if that is the case..... WTF! Although fair dues I HATE IE ha ha so I'd sue em for it (joke!)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I do it on here because I can't do it to his face plus the fact if I ever did meet him he'd be getting a slap :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?