Getting a job with an MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Badboy_7, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

Hi, I'm looking for advice on wether or not this would be the right cert for me to do and what chance it would give me to get an entry level job, for example working in a helpdesk or something similar.
    I know i would love doing this type of stuff...but i just do not want to waste a lot of money on something that wont even get me a job after finishing it, of course i have no experience either, but surely a cert would count for something??? Or would a MCDST plus something else enhance my chances? Or will it alone be enough just to get my foot in the door? I'm not exactly looking for big bucks or anything like that, just a job that i would enjoy doing.
    Any help/advice or suggestions for a different cert would be greatly welcome,
    Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Badboy

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Badboy. Welcome to CertForums.

Rarely will a certification and no experience get you a job. Certifications are supposed to declare the level of knowledge and experience already possessed by the certification holder.

That said, you might get more mileage out of getting an A+ first and then a Network+ before moving to the MCDST...especially if you have no technical background. Just about every employer has heard of the A+ and understands what it represents. It's an entry-level cert and one generally well respected.

Get a copy of the most recent edition (6th, I think) of Mike Meyer's book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...2933/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/026-9551759-8545239.

That, and a few older PCs to work on and if you have any aptitude at all, you should be well on your way. Also, you'll want to check out CompTIA's A+ page and learn more about what's required:

http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx

Just my humble opinion. :wink:

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Yep, I totally agree with what trip said mate. I am studying my A+ certification, I am fortunate enough to work in IT so I am gaining experience. I have used training providers before but I would recommend getting a copy of the mike meyers 6th edition A+ and having a look its really good. Most people start with A+ and N+ certs and gradually build up their knowledge that way. The best thing to do in my opinion is to examine every possible route that you could take and make a choice based on what you feel comfortable with. Good luck mate and welcome to CF

C :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :D

I agree with the other posts.

Also think about self studying, all you need is a couple of books or just 1 really for the A+ then an old pc which you could get from a junk shop or recycling center and thats it.

Take the exams when youre ready. :D

I was gonna go through a training provider which would have cost loads of dosh but decided to self study instead and its suprisingly easy :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

IT is difficult to get into in the first place a cert would certainly help but if I'm honest I think maybe doing your MCDST would be better for you as passing one of the exams will get you MCP status and as much as I'm proud to of gotten my A+ and Network+ it's very rare for employers to ask for them whereas they do ask for MCP's quite a lot in job descriptions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

A+ and N+ are good entry level certs. I have just landed a job with just the A+.

Remember, some company's like to 'grow their own' staff. They just want candidates with a decent base knowledge to build on.

I know for a fact more qualified people applied for the position I was lucky enough to land.

Do the A+, you won't regret it.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. michael78

Don't get me wrong I think the A+ and Network+ are very worthy certs I think that companies in the UK tend to ask for MCP's rather than the A+ and Network+

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

Sorry for not replying sooner, have been really busy at work, just need to thank you all for the great advice so far...its really pointing me in the right direction.
    I havent got much time atm, but i will make another post in more detail tomorrow.
    Again, really appreciate the help, :biggrin

Badboy

10. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

Ok, so ive pretty much decided to do the A+ and the MCDST, but i was also looking at the CCNA instead and was just wondering if it is better or worse than the A+ and MCDST and if it would give me a greater chance of getting an entry level job.
    I'm kind of in two minds, as a friend has suggested that the CCNA is better, but i just dont know.....clarification on what would be better for what im looking for would help me a lot in deciding,

thanks again,

Badboy

11. michael78

It's difficult to say, it really depends on what you want to do in IT. CCNA is focused on networking and the A+ is focused on Hardware & Software in a support/helpdesk type role. The MCDST from memory is based on Microsoft XP and how it fits in with Exchange and other Microsoft products. I remember the second exam being very Exchange heavy which caused me problems as at the time I only used Notes :oops: in a professional environment.

I would say it's not a case of what exam is better than the other but what you want to do in IT and from that you should be able to map out what certs will best fit your needs and develop your career.

12. BosonMichael

The CCNA is most certainly NOT an entry-level certification... to be honest, it's about three steps PAST the MCDST. The CCNA won't be helpful in getting an entry-level job because entry-level jobs don't involve configuring routers and switches, nor do they involve network administration.

Is the CCNA a great certification to get? Most definitely. But not at this stage of your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

Thanks BosonMichael & slypie for the info on CCNA, think ill definately go with a microsoft cert.
    The place i was going to do the MCDST, turns out they are not going to be doing the course after all, instead they are going to be doing the MCP?? Not sure what the difference is or what the benefits of either is compared to the other, but if someone with experience of both could give me advice, would appreciate it.

Thanks again in advance, :)

Badboy

14. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  15. michael78

Basically you get an MCP (Microsfot Certified Professional) for passing one Microsoft Exam, this could be one of the MCDST, MCSA or MCSE exams. It's in a sense the lowest Microsoft status that you can get (not necessarily the easiest as it depends on the exam that you sit).

The MCDST if you can do it is a good cert to get for helpdesk and you will also get MCP status after passing one of the exams.

16. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

Hey guys, thanks Dave and Slypie for the replies! :)
    It looks like im going to have to self study for the MCDST....I dont wanna spend a lot of money on a learning provider when i could basically teach myself for a fraction of the price.
    Was just wondering about all the books i would need to study and pass the exams and would i need to buy an extra computer to practice on???
    Also, anyone with experience of self studying could you possibly tell me your best methods of learning and generally how long it took you.
    I have taught myself how to use loads of different programs and i am a quick learner, but this seems a bit more daunting....:ohmy, but i am very confident in my abilitys to do it and also determined....
    Any other info that you think i should know about before i get under way with it would be great!

Cheers again for any help in advance!!

Badboy

17. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hi mate

i think you will find the MCDST a good cert to go for, self study is the way to go if you have the ability to take yourself away from other things for a while.

i self studied to get the xp exam and i found it was a good way to do it.

you will without doubt need a computer to work on, its much easier to answer a question on something if you have actually physically done it before rather than just having read about it.

as for books to read etc i would recommend MCSE Training Guide (70 270): Windows XP Professional

this is the one i read and it was really informative, i also watched the "learnkey vids"

if you would like more info Pm me

good luck

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  18. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

hey vlb, :)

thanks for telling me about your experience self of self studying for the MCDST,
    im gonna send u a pm mate

19. BosonMichael

Sorry to be the "forum cop", but most certification forums discourage the use of PMs to reveal "more information" about an exam... doing so typically leads to braindumping of information, which isn't condoned around here.

20. Badboy_7

Badboy_7 New Member

oops already sent it earlier, basically just asked where it is you take the exams to get the certs and also how long it took him to pass