Get server certified...for the very first time!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Stevemarsh99, May 19, 2009.

1. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am extremely keen on getting certified as at the moment I have experience to my name. I have around 5 years of 1st-3rd line support and around 2 years IT management for a small company of around 40 users. I joined another company in London which went into administration :cry: so I lost my role and now work in another smallish company of around 60 people providing 2nd line support to their in house software and helping the network manager look after their predominately 2003 network.

I desperately want to get certified and decided that 2008 would be the right move for me as my knowledge of 2003 is not that deep so if I am essentially starting from the beginning it might as well be the latest platform. All my knowledge is from doing in the 2003 environment so as well as I can ‘manage’ OU’s and set out DHCP scopes I feel my understanding of how active directory works should be much deeper than resetting passwords and profile directories.

I am with the understanding that if I want to become MCITP I will need to become a MCTS first. To become a MCTS I need to take and pass 70-640, 70-642 and the 70-643 – is this correct? :rolleyes:

I have purchased an ExamCram study guide from Amazon for the 640 and will set up a little lab with a 2008 server. Is this the done thing to do?

I appreciate any comments on this as I couldn’t be more of a beginner. :oops:

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, imo, I would go for the 2003 track and then do the upgrades to 2008 as and when... You are currently working with 2003, and that OS will be around for at least another 5 years to come. Not everyone is jumping on the Windows 2008 bandwagon just yet.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another thing to think about is that if you deepen your knowledge of 2003 server then you might be allowed to do more.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I agree with wagnerk. Server 2008 isn't going to immediately be all over, and you'll need to have a very good understanding with Server 2003 since you will most likely be spending the majority of time with that for at least the next few years.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Definitely best to go for 2003 as an upgrade to 2008 is only a further 2 exams I think

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

hi
    I'm in a similar situation, been working in an IT dept for a couple of years but haven't got more than my Network+ cert so i'm looking to do my first Microsoft course in September, either the MCSA(2003) route or the MCTS(2008) route. (as illustrated on the MS cert roadmap http://www.microsoft.com/learning/education/roadmap/default.mspx)

The way i'm looking at it is that I'm working full-time and so i'm looking at doing a part-time evening course, which lasts a year (per exam i think) and so If I do the MCTS and all goes well its going to take at least two years. So in 2011, I'll be certified in server2008 and server2003 is much more abundant at the moment, it will be eight years old by the time I finish my course.

Just something to consider

Good Luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

I have just tried to book the 70-640 exam after reading half of the study guide I have and prometric tell me they the exam has been replaced with the 83-640!!!

What does this mean for me??

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Re read these sections of your post, and what others have said about going for 2003 are on the spot, the point of certification is to prove knowledge and experience in systems that you (ideally) use in a production environment, so when you say you help run a 2003 network then following the 2003 track makes sense as firstly you will be using a lot of the new skills you learn along the way, and also revision is easier as you much sharper with the technology you use day in and day out.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I see you from your post that you have taken to heart the advice given above, also sorry for my previous late reply i didnt see the date so i guess its a little redundant now.

My viewpoint (from your initial and follow up post) is that reading half a book on a system you dont use at work (or before?) is unlikely to enable you to pass the exam, also as considering this a lab based exam (see http://jamie.ayubd.com/note/166/the-difference-between-70640-and-83640.html for more info) then I fear you may struggle to pass this test.

Hopefully your study includes lab based work and genuine certguard approved test exams and revision material from a source such as sybex or mspress?.

Good luck anyways.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that Windows Server 2003 is still the predominant server-based OS out there... and as such, companies are looking for people with Windows Server 2003 experience - and certifications.

I always, always, always recommend that people go after the oldest certification first, then work their way forward from there. In truth, if Microsoft were still offering Windows 2000 certs, I'd still be recommending them. If nothing else, having the "older" certifications will make it look like you've been certified for longer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!