Get file permissions ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jellyman_4eva, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I did not where to put this so I hope this is OK!

Basically I keep reading about planning planning planning etc, and documentation is the key etc etc...

So anyway, you know how it is when you create shares for people, then they want them shared with other people etc etc.. its one of those jobs that gets done, then altered like once or twice every couple of months...

So anyway say I want to document the shares on a server (OR workstation for that matter) in terms of who has access to them... is there a nice little program which will just go along and collect all this info on folders and the like?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i got a program in my archive but cant remember what is called - in college at mo, when i get home, i'll have a look.

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There are a few tools that are probably downloadable from MS in their resource kit tools. One is subinacl.exe. It does what you ask and I'm pretty sure you can call it from a script too. Another one that I'm not too familiar with is Perms.exe. Take a look at Xcalcs.exe too. There is another tool that I just can't remember at the moment that does this too, but I can't remember it as it's been a couple of years since I really used these tools on an every day basis.

There should be a folder named something similar to "support tools" on any server or XP pro or 2000 pro installation disk that has some tools for this too. The ones I listed above are from the W2K Resource kit but should run on 2003 and XP.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

The program is called Hyena

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I don't know if this program will do what you want, I was looking for something else and this turned up.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security