Get a job w/ ccna cert.?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by vex390, Jan 8, 2010.

1. vex390

vex390 New Member

I'm looking towards getting a job as just a ccna. can the ccna alone help me find a job as a fresh highschool graduate? if not what would i need to do that? CCNA is cisco certified networking associate. i'm just looking for any techie job that i can get trained for that pays over minimum wage and looked at becoming a ccna. any suggestions would be nice

2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

What expierence or qualifications do you have just now?

I assume because you mention high graduate that at most you have a higher/a level qualification. You would be best looking at doing an comptia A+/Network+ or MCDST. Maybe going to college would also be a good choice.

This is what i have picked up from my short time being a memeber here and i am sure someone will add to this.

GL

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said above, A+,N+ and MCDST.

The CCNA is designed for people who already work with CISCO gear in networking, having this cert without the proper experience can go against you when applying for jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GrymD

GrymD New Member

The problem with learning your CCNA is;

1) There are loads of these 1 week intense courses out there that dont teach you the stuff, they teach you waht you need to know to pass the exam and alot of employers think that people do these just to get the cert. Which kind of handicaps the people who learned the Certification the correct way (lab work, theory and netsim).

2) If you havent got anything else its a waste of time learning it first as employers will look at it and think the above.

I made the mistake of getting my CCNA before anything else, makes you unemployable if its on your CV.

Certifications: CCNA
  5. dv-ant

dv-ant Bit Poster

Hi vex390 and welcome to the forums

would have to agree with what everyone else here has said
    you got to start at the beginning with certs like A+, N+ and MCDST and start looking at entry level job roles like
    1st line support. Getting a CCNA with no IT experience to back it up will count against you as employers will
    see you as only paper qualified with no actual experience. At this stage experience is far more important than higher level certifications. I know if I was a manager I wouldnt feel comfortable letting someone with no experience configure my routers/switches in a live corporate environment
    Start at the beginning and work your way up