generate a webpage of folder contents

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Nov 2, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It has now come to pass that someone within the company would like to set up an intranet. The idea is that information and documents, let's say more general information that pertains to the whole company like the employment manual, should be easily found and accessible. (the reason being our file structure is catastrophic)

Now, it's not too hard to generate a webpage/website to put this information in but then it's a problem of keeping it up to date everytime something changes. That's why I'm looking for a script or a program that can scan a set of folders and generate a webpage or update a webpage with all the relevant links from selected folders. I could use a portable wiki to do the job but that means a lot of editing and 30 people doing the editing properly would last about 3 hours before meltdown.

I have googled for something but didn't much but that could be because I'm crap at google searches.

Anyone with any ideas?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sharepoint?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

Plone is an open source cms software that my company's intranet providers are currently implementing. Seems to work okay, I have uploaded all the IT documentation into handy headed folders.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeah, I would have also suggested Sharepoint Services.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Funny you should say that mate. I mentioned a year ago that we should look into some sort of document management system and I also suggested sharepoint. Nothing was ever done about it and then all in a rush it was a hot subject and they decided on a system (apparantly because I dropped the ball) that is more specific for document and in particular contract management (and is also cheaper).

A short while later an idea pops up for an intranet for general company information etc that would also be a perfect usage of sharepoint, but......:rolleyes:

So, enter now the need to find a way to do this without a dedicated database, cms or whatever, just a simple webpage for the general info. I can see that later they will want to start putting data and experiment results into it as well to stop duplication and repeating of experiments (aas was proposed by one guy).

To me they are mutually exclusive goals. Either way, a simple webpage or a database system, for one purpose will not serve the other. Sharepoint would have though.:dry

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

asp.net can use the .net framework to scan a directory, and you can then do pretty much anything you want with it. For instance, I've recently written a routine (simple as it is) to get a collection of all the files in a directory, and choose one at random (they are images, so the pages using it should randomly load one at each launch). But you could equally have a grid with links to each of the files - hell you could probably access metadata on the file for display (eg the title/author/etc from a word document).

php could probably do the same, but I couldn't say how to do that specifically.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present