General Tab in the Pinter properties.

Discussion in 'A+' started by co.ador, Feb 10, 2011.

1. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I have a question, within this tab I find manny options and information about the printer. One of the things I see I can change or modify is the Location and ccomment. I have an idea about what comment would be but location? what the location field is for here?

2. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

One use for the location entry might be that the printer is in a large company and so you could put 'Sales Office' or 'Wages Office' to help find it in the building.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the printer is connected to a domain (network) then the location would be where on the network the printer was. For instance at my work we have one main printer that can be printed to from our base and from other sites in different areas of the country.

So the location from the computer I am sitting at now is set to carlisle and the people in hexham can print to this printer by setting the location where the printer is from their computer to print to it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. greenbrucelee

This too. This is what can be called a logical printer so the sales office would see it as the sales printer and wages would see it as the wages printer from there you can set priority too so you could have one of the departments have priority over the other.

5. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

'Sales Office', from what you saying green means that only logical printer can accept characters base location, so meaning that for non logical printer the field location will have to be fill with a network address such as 181.210.23.23 something like that to locate the computer?

correct me if I am wrong.

6. greenbrucelee

the ip address for the printer is set through my network places > properties > file and printer sharing not in the printers general tab. You can also find in in the ports tab in printers properties.

Usually if your using a router the router gets dhcp info from the server and assigns an ip to the printer.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  7. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

location tab would be a name for the printer itself? or location where the work to print is coming from?

it looks like the location where the print job is coming from.

8. greenbrucelee

yep. As stated we have a big printer in carlisle office and if anyone want to print to it from hexham they go into the printers and faxes select the printer and browse to the name of the printer they want to print to.

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Probably the most common usage of the Location field is the physical location of the Machine. For instance, our printers in Aberdeen all have a location along the lines of "UK\Aberdeen\<Office>\<Floor>\<Wing>". This allows someone to enter search criteria to the find printers list using the location UK\Aberdeen and see all of the printers for that location.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

in other words we can have one printer assigned to one computer and can we assign several printers to one computer in the location field. that would be intneresting to know.

11. greenbrucelee

Yes & you can also have one computer connected to several printers or one printer named accordingly to the department that uses it as in sales and wages example above so actually looks like one printer is really several printers.

12. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

is there a way I could use to practice this theory? I don't have a net work in my home. I have two computers, so I was wondering how can I wirelessly connect both computer and make it to print in the same printer by network. have a router. wondering if I can set up a connection with one of you guys and use your printer as well. i would like to do all that.

13. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

The location field is used simply to name the location of the printer i.e "staff room" "Jims office" or in a more broad sense "head office" its so you have a better idea where it is.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  14. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Others questions, how many printer does a 5 to 15 computers normally uses? so the tech pro will have to write the name of the location in each of the computers in the network or it will be written directly in the server and it is meant to appear or be return in each of the computers of the network?

15. greenbrucelee

It all depends on the office. You could have an office with 30 computers but only one printer.

You dont put the location on every computer when on a network. You would do this when your setting up the printer on the network and it will appear on every computer when someone looks for its name in the location bar.

However usually in a company there will be many printers that you can see the location of and you can also have many logical printers (these can be just one printer that is assigned different names/locations for different departments but it appears in printers and faxes as if there are lots of real printers).

16. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Dont really understand what your asking co.ador

For example, if my boss (Jim) wants a new printer setup in his office i would do the following steps;

1. Connect printer to the network and assign network settings on the printer
    2. Logon to a server, start add printer wizard, add local printer
    3. Enter ip settings and install driver if needed
    4. Set share permissons
    5. Add extra information like location (jims office), and a comment like (installed on 10/02/11))
    6. Select to list in directory

Now if someone wants to print to Jim's printer, they don't need to know the make or name of the printer, just browse the printer directory for location with "Jim's office"

17. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

@greenbrucelee

logical printers, could have different logical names, and it seems like that they are differnet printers, I remember when I was in the school there was several logical printers to choose from but in deed all the print jobs used to go to the same printer. What is the used of having different logical printers all with differnet name but in deed it will be one printer. ?

18. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

You can assign different priority's to the logical printers, meaning depending on what printer the job was sent to, this will dictate the order the printer prints them.

19. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

2- logon to a server, start add printer winzard, add local printer.

I thought since jim is going to be introduced to the network his printer would be configure as a network printer? why local because of his local officed, does the printer will only print jobs within the local officed? will other computer be able to printer on jim's printer, From what we have discuss I guess other user will be able to print on jim's printer but why do you configure it as a local printer if the whole network will be able to print on this printer? I am confuse in here.

20. greenbrucelee

because you can setup priorities and things like that. Say you have one printer but the boss, the wages dept and the general office staff all share one printer. If the boss connects to the printer under the name boss then it could be set out that even though the wages dept sent a document to print before the boss did the boss would still get his print out first because his priority has been set higher than the wages dept.

who can print from one printer or a nother printer all depends on wether local permissions allow them to.

Usually when you setup a network you assign groups lets say Boss group, sales group, wages group. All the bosses belong to the boss group and all the bosses have permissions of what they can and cant do om the network, they then have local permissions which is what they can and cant do on their computer and the same goes for everyone else.

So a boss may be able to print doucuments from his computer but he cant get into the network print queue and delete the document and stuff like that.