General MCSE advice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Guy101, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Hello All,
    Im hoping someone can give me allittle advice (push) in the right direction. I graduated from Uni doing Computer Science in 2008, im currently just doing a admin job and want to get into a networking support job, but everything im looking for is asking for Microsoft Certified with experience. im gaining the experience where i am because im the network officer for my department aswell as doing my own case work, but i need MC. So the advice im looking for is:-

would it be best to go for the MCSE for my first qualification? or MCSA or something else?? im thinking MCSE because its got all the MCSA modules and more.

To keep the cost down (I aint got too much cash). is there websites, books, etc which you can suggest for me to learn myself, instead of taking courses online or in classes which costs big money and take the exams seperatley? also im not too sure how much each exams costs?

I see a look of books out there (nutshell, etc) but Im not sure what one would be best. Im hoping theres one out there which is good, covers all the modules and aint too costly. or am I asking for too much. :biggrin

One last thing, just to make sure im clear on how i can be MCSE, would I be right in thinking:-

Taken from the Microsoft Certification Road Map,

least 1 x Client, 4 x Core and 1 x Design

70-270 - Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (MCSA/MCSE)

70-290 – Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (MCSA/MCSE)
    70-291 – Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (MCSA/MCSE)
    70-293 - Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (MCSA/MCSE)
    70-294 - Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure (MCSA/MCSE)

70-298 - Designing Security for a Windows Server 2003 Network

and that will give me a MCSE. I know this might sound silly and common sense but i just want to make sure.:oops:

Thanks all.
    Guy

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Guy,

I'm in a rush but you need one more exam for an MCSE called an elective which can pretty much be any of the 70- exams, so 7 in total. If you pass any of the exams you have listed you become a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP). If you want to get more into networking I'd look into the Cisco CCNA myself. From a MS perspective check out 70-290, 291, 293 for starters.

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Thanks Jim,

Would it be best to do the MCSE first, so it show im experienced in MS, then go for Cisco Quals?

That was my plan,

Cheer
    Guy

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you shouldn't really be going for the MCSE unless you have the appropriate experience. Microsoft state you need 12-18 months as a systems engineer before attempting it.

The are certifications for people with experience (in a job) like the MCSA and MCSE and certs for people without experience such as the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The following is my own opinion as an IT pro and an IT manager...

OK, so from what you're saying you're an office admin that does basic IT administration, like adding/removing users, joining PC's to the domain, back-ups, etc? What about things like fixing DCHP/DNS issues, fixing replication issues, server rebuilds, OS deployment, designing AD, deploying GPO's, etc... How many users do you support?

I'm just trying to build a picture of where you are at the moment... As going straight for the MCSE with limited experience is overkill, irrespective of whether or not you have a degree. To be honest, I wouldn't give access to my systems to anyone unexperienced even if they had a MCSE. In fact I believe no IT manager would do that.

Do you work with Cisco kit? Cisco certifications need to be renewed every 3 years. What are the chances of actually administering it yourself? We did a survey here a while ago, and less than a third actually administer Cisco kit themselves, and they are seasoned pro's.

Added to that no manager would hand over the keys to their network to anyone, again, just because they were certified in the product.

I'm not trying to dishearten you, just laying out the fact that High-end certifications aren't going to guarantee you a job and sometimes they can even hurt your chances. There have been so many people who have gone for these certs but fast realised that they go hand in hand with experience.

If you are starting out, start off with the A+, Network+ and the MCDST, then move on to the MCSA (provided you work in a MS environment). See how you go with that, then build upon those certs.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Thanks Kev,

I support about 25 colleuges, i do all the basics like you mentioned but not so much the more advanced. I got an ideaof the more advanced stuff for uni modules like Networking, internet and communications etc, but want to know more.

ill have look at MCSA and if it looks to hard ill go for A+, Network+ and the MCDST.

Looking at the modules for MCSE I thought I covered most of that, but obviously it goes a lot deeper than fist thought.

If i first completed all the modules which are in both MCSA and MCSE, can i then choose which away to go from there.

Any good books out there for A+, Network+ and the MCDST??

Cheers all.
    Guy

7. Kitkatninja

In fact I would do the A+/Network+ combination first as both of them together actually count as the elective requirement for the MCSA. Plus I've found that the Network+ will help alot with MS exams, especially the 70-291 which is one of the required exams for the MCSA/MCSE :)

Any good books? Well for the:

A+, there the "AiO" book from Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

Network+, There's the Network+ AiO

For the MCDST, there's the Sybex MCDST book

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Guy, like you I have a Computer Science degree, if your degree covered computer architecture and basic networking you might decide not to take A+/N+ as electives, I took the Security+ as my MCSA elective as I thought it offered better value for money than the A+/N+ or MCDST.

I second what Ken was saying, The MCSE is definitely not for people that just dabble with Microsoft administration.

9. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Cheers Kev,

ill look into them books.

dmarsh, As it looks you was once in the same boat as me, what would you suggest i do? go onto MSCA? or MCDST?

Cheers all.
    Guy

10. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Right, I finally think I know my plan.....

Would I be correct to say:

1st

Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician(MCDST)

70-271 - Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System
    70-272 - Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System

This will give me the MCDST and count as 1 Elective exam passed for the MCSA.

2nd

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA) = 1 x Client, 2 x Core and 1 x Elective

70-270 - Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (CLIENT)
    70-290 – Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (CORE)
    70-291 – Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (CORE)
    Plus the MCDST for the elective.

This will give me the MCSA and the Client and 2 Cores for th MCSE.

3rd

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer(MCSE) = 1 x Client, 4 x Core and 1 x Design

Client already done in MCSA.
    2 Cores done in MCSA.
    70-293 - Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (CORE)
    70-294 - Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure (CORE)
    70-298 - Designing Security for a Windows Server 2003 Network (Design)

Can you upgrade this way???????:rolleyes:

Obviously this will take a long time but something to work towards in the future....

Totalling 8 exams x £88 a pop = £704 without traveling costs:eek:

Cheers
    Guy

11. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

:helpread

12. Kitkatninja

Yes you can upgrade MCDST -> MCSA -> MCSE, plus also there's the upgrades to the newer technology, eg

MCDST -> MCITP: EST/MCITP: EDST7
    MCSA -> MCITP: SA
    MCSE -> MCITP: EA

Well that's £704 if you are only taking into consideration the exam cost, plus passing first time every single on of them. There's also the costs for books, software, practice exams, CBT's if you use them, resits (the free second shot isn't all the time), etc...

To be honest, I would pause once you finish the MCSA, until you start doing more dedicated/advance IT administration.

Oh and one more thing, even though you can upgrade the MCSA to the MCITP: SA and the MCSE to the MCITP: EA, both the MCITP: SA and the MCITP: EA are the same level qualification, just aimed at different jobs (unlike the MCSA/MCSE where the MCSE is higher).

Hope this helps :)

-ken

13. Guy101

Guy101 New Member

Cheers Ken,

Thats cleared it all up for me.

Ill order the MCDST books tonight and get to work.

Guy

14. Kitkatninja

No worries, good luck with the studies :)

-ken