General Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Wasted Little DJ, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Wasted Little DJ

Wasted Little DJ New Member

Hello everyone!

The position I am in is that I am in the process of performing a change of career! I did a management degree at uni and currently work in account management which I am not happy doing to be honest. I have decided that 2008 is going to be the year of less talk and more action! I have a few questions and would be very grateful if anyone could help out.

I gather there are alot of 'money grabbing' companies out there wishing to take your cash for a poor service in relation to the certification process, any to avoid?

I read in another forum about the self learning thing, I was originally going to do the MCDST but am now considering the A+ certificate first but just doing so off my own back. I quite fancy the MCDST in the 14 day classroom enviroment and was planning on going straight into this, would it be advisable to go for the A+ first?

How easy is it to gain an entry level position with little/no experience? I am very driven to achieve a career move into IT but you can't put a price on experience unfortunately. Will these courses stand me in good stead when it comes to applying for jobs etc?

Lastly, how long will the A+ take if I was just to go down the self learning route?

Thanks to everyone that replies as I know you must get these questions/situations all the time!

P.S My computer knowledge is adequate, very comfortable using them but just never had the chance or opportunity to perform anything in depth.

Thanks guys!

Certifications: HNC Networking
    WIP: HND Networking, A+, N+, CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Yes, there are a lot of money-grabbers out there. So why risk it? Try self-study... you won't rip yourself off, and if you find it isn't working, you can always give your money to a money-grabber at any point in the future! ;)

How long will the A+ take? As long as it takes. Everyone's ability to learn is different. Might take you a day... might take you a year. It's not possible for us to know that. Simply study the concepts until you completely understand them... then schedule the exam. That works for any certification exam.

I always recommend A+ before Network+ or MCDST. This is as far as I'd recommend you go down the certification path without experience.

How easy is it to gain an entry-level position without experience? Well, let's first define entry-level. An entry-level job is a job where you ENTER the field. If you're entering the field, then by definition, you don't have experience. Thus, any job that does not require experience is an entry-level job, and any job that requires experience is not entry-level.

So how hard is it? Getting your first IT job is likely the hardest thing you'll ever do. There's quite a bit of competition out there. But it's quite possible to do. Just be persistent, and don't give up.

Certification is great, but it doesn't guarantee you to get a job, nor does it qualify you to perform those tasks. Certification merely sets you apart from your competition. Certification is even MORE important at the start of your career, when your competition is fierce, and neither you nor your competition has experience. You'll have your degree AND certifications to give you an edge.

Hope this helps! And welcome again!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I agree with what Mike said.

I was going to go with a training company for my A+ they were going to charge me £700 for it, I got advice on here to self study.

I got the two books needed for the A+ and an old computer for 60 quid to practice taking apart and putting back together. £80 versus £700 it doesn't take a genius to work out which is better for your pocket. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Wasted Little DJ

Wasted Little DJ New Member

Thanks fore replies guys, how long did it take you to pass the A+? The training company I looked at was wanting £2000 for the A+ alone:rolleyes:

I looked at 2 companies(***removed potential spam***) for an intensive 6 week course for the MCSA, total cost was £3000 inc VAT I think but couldn't really get 6 weeks off my work. If I was to do it that way would have to wrap my job and basically go all or nothing.

So basically for the A+ you need 2 books and an old PC and thats you sorted then?

Cheers

Certifications: HNC Networking
    WIP: HND Networking, A+, N+, CCNA