Gears of War on PC

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Armchair Pimp, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

... anyone got this to run without stuttering? I'm running a dual core E6600 setup with a Readeon HD3850 gpu with 2Gb ram.. I've editing the texture streaming and stuff so it pre-loads into memory to reduce stutturing but it still runs like Morris and the Minors on my set-up..

Anyone got any more tweaks I could try?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not sure mate, I have been trying find a demo to see if it'll work on mine. But I was told by someone (not sure how true it is) that it works better with Nvidia GPUs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Let me get hold of a copy and I will get back to you on this...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Armchair Pimp

Strangely I went to boot up my PC last night and it wouldn't start.. power light was on and HDD light on constant.. then it would reboot... after a bit of fuddling (it's like fiddling but with a lot more swearing).. I pinned it down to one of my memory chips.. I tested the other chip on each of the 4 channels and they're ok which is good news..

Soo.. I thought I'd try GOW again.. and although it took an age to load and had some bad loading moments.. some of the sections which stuttered a bit before didn't... new memory is on order now (1Gb isn't going to cut it).. so I'll let you know if a bad memory stick was the cause of the problem..

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

What is the watt of your power supply unit? The reason being the signs above can also mean your PSU is on its way out.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Armchair Pimp

550W.. I did test the other memory stick and it wouldn't run in any of the channels... so my assumption is that it's the stick that caused the problem.. I also booted the PC without any memory to ensure the BIOS warning beeps worked.. which they did..

Or do you mean that some kind of power surger from the PSU has damamged the memory stick? The PSU is under a year old (but the memory was second hand!)

I'm going to get a replacement pair of 1Gb sticks and run them in dual channel mode.. but then I had an idea.. I've still got a perfectly good 1Gb sitting there doing nothing.. which brings me to my question..

I know I can't run dual channel with 3 sticks.. but in real-term performance.. will the advantages of running 3Gb in single channel mode outweigh those of running 2Gb in dual-channel mode? My suspicion is that the single channel 3Gb mode will perform better but was wondering what others think?

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Could be a conflict or audio drivers? Which version of GC do you have and have you installed the patch?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. Armchair Pimp

GC? Yeah I've patched GOW up... I did think about the audio drivers but am a little confused as surely I'd have an issue elsewhere if there was a conflict?

Can't help thinking it's an iffy port..

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Is it this patch: - GOW patch november 2007? :blink

10. Armchair Pimp

I believe so yes.. although I did rely on the Games 4 Windows patching service.. I'll try re-applying it..

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What about the live update bug? did you get that or were you one of the lucky ones not to experience it?8)

"Upon loading the game, it prompts you to download a Games for Windows Live update, putting you back into the game menu once the download is complete. If you then try and start the game again, though, a bug keeps the update installation from completing successfully."

SOURCE

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

talking of ports can you save your game OK? I know a lot of people have lost their saves due to the PC port.

Or it could be that bloody live update it gave me so much grief:x I ditched it and went over to the game crysis.

But have you read this thread on the live update, there's quite a lot of problems with not just installing it but clitches inside the game:- Gamerscore GOW:ohmy

13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

There is a minor problem with the game itself stuttering. It's to do with the caching as you move around the world as it pauses to load the next section. If you have less than 2gigs of RAM it will be more noticeable.

I've also noticed that it insists on using virtual memory sometimes even though I have 4gigs, but like I said it's much smoother with more memory and being patched.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may have 4 gigs Mathematix, but are you using a 64bit OS? If not, then the most XP will see is 3Gigs.

As for if 3 gigs in single channel mode will be faster than 2 in dual channel mode. I doubt it to be honest. As far as I am aware the memory architecture of XP isn't setup to utilise above 2 gig's very well anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I thought it was above 3GB my PC sees all of the 3GB I have, not sure if it uses it all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Mathematix

Nope, I'm using WinXP 32bit and am well aware of the address space implications. My PC sees 3.25gigs to be precise. I purchased two sets of 2x1GB matched pairs and knew from the off that all 4GB would not be seen as long as the AGP and any PCI slots were used.

I had to slightly underclock the memory timings because of the memory address controller being stressed. This caused single-bit errors that when accumulated over time caused my system to crash. Simply changing from CL2.5 to CL3 fixed the problem.

17. Mathematix

If it can see all 3GB then it has the potential to use it all. It all depends on the number of applications you have running and whether these applications are bound to use a fixed amount of system ram and then force themselves to make use of virtual memory, irrespective of ample space in system ram.

18. Armchair Pimp

Nope.. don't have the Games for Windows bug and I am able to save the game ok.. I guess I'm lucky in that way!

The stuttering is definitely more than a minor inconvenience as it renders the game impossible to play at times..

19. Armchair Pimp

Sorry.. should have said.. I'm using Vista Ultimate..

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I've installed the game...I did run into some problems with it but after applying the latest patch, its now working a treat :biggrin I love the game and I am running Vista Ultimate. So for those who have serious qaulms with Vista and gaming take it from yours truly, all seems fine on my end. Call Of Duty 4 is just mind blowing, Bioshock is really scaring the $h1t out of me lol, Crysis will take some getting use to, Splinter Cells 3 and 4 seem to play better on Vista than they ever did on XP.

Of course you say you had 1GB of RAM in the machine...and yes that certainly wont cut it. 2GB certainly helps but then I have 4GB in my machine.

So get the RAM upgraded and I am sure you will have fun :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life