Gearing up and ready to go

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Jaron78, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Afternoon Chaps,

I hope we are all well.

Ok, all I have been doing lately is playing No Man Sky. I have however, been doing some research etc.

Books I plan on using:
    • CCENT/CCNA ICND 100-105 Official Cert Guide by Wendell Odom
    • CCENT ICND1 Study Guide: Exam 100-105 by Todd Lammle
    • The Only IP Book You Will Ever Need!: Unraveling the mysteries of IPv4 & IPv6 by Lazaro (Laz) J. Diaz
    I will be signing up to Lazaro's Udemy ICND 100-105 Course which seems pretty good, I have also been given an Old Laptop from work that I can practice on. I have installed Packet Tracer on it for practice, I also have two Routers and a Switch which I can do a "Hands On" practice.

I have spoken to a couple of Network Ops guys at work and they have put me forward for Read Only access on the company hardware. The Network Ops manager is away until the 24th August but at least its a start.

Does that seem a bit "Over Kill"?

Cheers

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Well tbh I thought you over did it with the N+ but if over doing it means a pass then go ahead.

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I certainly don't think it's overkill

It's good that your network ops team have recognized you and given you read only access. You will learn SO much about real environments and how they operate by looking at all the configurations and setup's they run.

It's great that your work are backing you and giving you kit to practice on, that's a great starting point.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Jaron78 likes this.
  4. Jaron78

Its not happened yet mate but my Line Manager and his Line Manager all think its a good idea, hopefully the Network Ops Manager feels the same :)

I really cant wait to get started.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

@Jaron78 your employer seems really decent. I think if my emoloyer was like that Id enjoy my job alot more.

Jaron78 likes this.
  6. Jaron78

I think its more that I have a really supportive Line Manager mate, as well as very friendly Network Ops guys.
    In all honesty, I have never met the Network Ops team as they are all based in Leeds. However, when they have asked me if I would help out with stuff, I always say Yes :)

Doesn't hurt to have the right contacts ha ha. In their defence, WH are a pretty good employer to be honest.

7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

This! always say yes to experience of new things, it goes a loooooong way

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Jaron78 likes this.
  8. Jaron78

Just found out that Network Ops are going to give me Read Only access to the Corporate Switches and Routers.
    Let the learning begin :)