G'day from Australia

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by withnail, Oct 9, 2009.

1. withnail

withnail New Member

Hello ladies and gents.

I'm Withnail, been working in IT since 2000, started off in Technical support for a UK based ISP, was promoted and focused on some UNIX & Linux stuff, running Apache httpd and BIND servers mainly on Cobolt Raqs and Sun hardware.

Got made redundant during the .com bubble burst, and then did some desktop stuff for a bit and never really got back into the UNIX/Linux stuff, then around 2003 started working for Gaming companies doing propriety Application support. Up until recently I was doing the same thing in Australia, until I fell quite ill and had to take some time off work, during which time my last employer sacked me. :-(

I've not had any kind of income since December 2008, I'm trying to get back into the IT scene now but my skills aren't that up to date, though I still have a good working knowledge of TCP/IP, desktop OS's and Trouble shooting.

I obtained the Apple Certified Support Professional certification 2 months ago and last week passed the OS X Server Essentials exam to obtain the Technical Coordinator certification. (Not an Apple Zealot just wanted to chose an OS I felt comfortable and confident with for my first exams).

I once tried to pass the SCSA part 1 test without studying and failed by 2 points (back in 2001), this dented my confidence somewhat and I haven't tried certification up until now.

My road back is tough due to the gaps on my resume and the fact that I don't think my last place will give me a good reference as I was off with Depression and work related stress.

Any who I'm going to attempt the MS 70-270 exam next and found this place whilst googling for exam resources.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Certifications: ACSP, ACTC
    WIP: MCP, ACSA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day mate, from Australia 8)

Well you have a wealth of very impressive experience which will most definitely work in your favour to find another job in IT. Also you live in Sydney, so there are more opportunities there to find something pretty cool than here on the coast. I'm sure it wont take a person of your obvious perspicacity to pick up the pieces and bring yourself up to speed with the latest stuff. You already have the necessary foundation to build upon.

You will find a lot of support and encouragement with your certification quest. You will find that most people on here, myself included support the self study model. This is for many reasons but mainly there seems to be a tendency for training providers to not live up to peoples expectations.

*tosses you a VB* :berrr

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!