Gave up

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Johnd76, May 7, 2012.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Well folks after a few years looking for a job in IT I have finially given up on looking, I have just become very disillusioned with the whole IT thing and the countless "no replys" from job applications has gotten me to this stage!

yes people may say that " if you dont try then you dont get" but i have done with trying!!

yes poeple may say that I should do more certs (up to date certs) and that will help, but I just dont seem to have to energy or the desire to learn because of the lack of "intrest" from emplyers i just dont see the point...

Dont really know why i feel that i need to say what I have but there you go.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Doesn't sound good! Keep your chin up though. Maybe just take a break and come back to it when you have re-charged your batteries a bit.

It's a difficult time for finding jobs for anyone right now, but I'm sure if you keep going you will find one eventually.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Don't give up. I know more than a few people who got a job in an office then applied internally for their IT dept. IT isn't rocket science, you just need a lucky break. You will get your chance don't worry. If you know anyone in IT, ask them to look over your CV for you. Are you applying for first line, help desk type roles? Almost all of us have started at the bottom and worked our way up. Its the best way

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Giving up would be too easy, anyone could do it. Without getting all zodiac and destiny on you maybe there is something out there that just is yet to rear its head.

The rejections may be for a reason, and theres something bigger and better waiting for you, Destiny perhaps?

The harder you find things the more worthwhile it is having once you get there! Keep pushing you break will come :blink

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not just IT.
    Finding any kind of job right now is tough.

There are only a few things to consider:
    - you're better off applying for a job in an industry where you have an interest or a passion.
    - if you give up, you won't find anything at all.

I can't give you anything more constructive than that, because it's tough out there.
    What you have to consider is the alternatives. You may think that you are not in the running for IT jobs because there are others out there with more experience or qualifications, so what are you going to do instead?
    Apply to stack tins in a supermarket?
    Believe me there are LOT more people going for that one...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep trying mate. Tough times for everyone right now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    BraderzTheDog likes this.
  7. Taire2011

Taire2011 Bit Poster

Don't give up buddy. Just keep trying. I was just in a similar situation as you when I finished my Degree, I looked for a IT role for over 3 years until the beginning of this year. So please just re-charge yourself and your big break will come.

BraderzTheDog likes this.
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replys guys...

I do understand its tough times for us all, and maybe there is bigger and better things waiting round the corner, i think i will take a break from the studying for a while.

I will continue to apply for jobs but just won't get so hung up on the outcome of it and its nice to know that there are other people in the same boat or have been in the same boat.

Thanks again guys, its lifted my spirits a little

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well if it helps im in your situation. I finished my degree last year and so im now looking for work, i have some experience under my belt say around 6 months worth and im going to get my exams up and running, but i wont be giving up. To be honest, getting the degree has got me no further than id thought and now im 20k in debt thanks to that, but if i end up dying without paying that back, then in fairness ive made a profit lol.

To keep my spirits up ive started putting cards in the local shops,offering my services, i may stick one in the local rag and see what goes. Other than that and topping up what you already know and improving theres not much you can do. Ive only had 2 interviews so far after numerous applications, i know i need to do my CV up but i will keep plugging away.

As people say its very easy to give up, have a week off from the whole searching for jobs, as that process in itself really gets my gripe, and see how you feel, sometimes focusing on something else for a few days could help

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Don't get yourself down mate. IT is a hard job to break into when things are good in the economy and it's not the best time with the whole of the world seemingly falling apart at the seams. Keep plugging away but do have a plan B if your out of work otherwise sit tight and wait until things pick up and keep studying.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)