Gaps in knowledge

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Matt09, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Matt09

Matt09 New Member

Hello,

I am currently studying for my A+ which I hope to pass very soon. I have the Mike Meyers All in One guide and the self study is going along nicely. However, when I have been looking at 1st line/Entry support roles there are sometimes areas of experience required I have little knowledge of. Nearly everything I know is through experience and there is some stuff I just haven't dabbled with. Active Directory for example. This seems to pop up quite a bit and I have hardly any experience of it! I was wondering what the best way to 'fill in the gaps' is. I plan to do the N+ after the A+, but is it a good idea to study for a certification with areas you have no knowledge?

Thanks.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the reason entry level jobs are advertised as requiring knowledge of Active Directory is because the recruiters don't have the foggiest idea what Active Directory is. Ok, granted, you might be expected to reset a users password, which would require you possibly to understand that the passwords are maintained in Active Directory and that you would use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in or a customised version of it to reset the appropriate password. This is something that can be taught in a few minutes and nothing to stress about.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)