Gaming Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know a lot of you a more gamey than I am on this site, and I'm looking to getting in to gaming again (as a cheap alternative to other hobbies :biggrin)

What would you recommend?

I've historically been into more strategic and RPG games - The Elder Scrolls series took up a huge chunk of my life, but I was more into Morrowind than Oblivion for some reason (Morrowind was actually the reason I started using online forums - at www.morrowindfiles.com).

I also like games like Chamionship Manager (the next one is out next month, so that's an easy enough pick).

Was also a slave to games like Theme Hospital (STILL own that), Caesar 3, Dungeon Siege, Command and Conquer...

So... yer... recommendations :)

Assume (safely) that I can play any current game with solid performance. Not pant-wettingly great, but solid.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Titan Quest and the expansion Titan Quest: The Immortal Throne can be picked up for cheap, and have provided hours of entertainment for me and my boys. Very much a character-builder treasure-grab sort of game.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I found Fallout 3 to be excellent :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have been told before that any Morrowind fan would probably LOVE Fallout 3. But I'm very jumpy (had to mute speakers when I was going in caves etc in Morrowind, caus I knew something bad would jump out at me when the music changed. Yes, I KNOW the music changing would have helped, but it gave me the willies :rolleyes: :biggrin)

Maybe I'll try to overcome my... err... skittishness and give it a whirl.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I adore Fallout 3. If its PC tho I love the Rome Total War games, and their expansion packs. All the Total War series kick butt if you ask me.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. BosonMichael

Oooh, yeah, I want to play Fallout 3 as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. JK2447

Its the bomb mate it really is. When/if I get my MCSE I'm gonna have a month off to rot my brain and play games/drink beer. Since having the baby I haven't had any time to myself :(

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You've had a baby ?! :blink:eek::blink:eek:

Gettin' really worried about you now m8 :p

@Arro - sorry, not really into RPG

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. JK2447

Ha ha sure did mate, just like Arnie in Junior . . . Myles :baby :ma

Notice the space invaders T'shirt I've got on, proper Gamer me boys and gal :peace

10. BosonMichael

It's worth it, mate. When the baby grows up, you can game with him/her. WIN! :thumbleft

11. JK2447

Ha ha You're getting rep for that mate because its just put some great images in my head of Myles' mum shouting at me and my son for playing Xbox 3600 for too long :lol: (please note not an actual Microsoft product . . . .yet ha ha)

12. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

Well if you like things like C&C then how about trying Company of Heroes.
    If you prefer something puzzleish then how about World of Goo (cheap via Steam) or Fantastic Contraptions for a free web based and addictive game.

I have gone back to playing Battlefield 2 and Team Fortress 2 is always a cheap laugh.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Another vote for Fallout 3, but you may also want to consider Fallout 1 & 2 which I believe you can buy both games (as a single title) on budget. They are pretty old now but were just fantastic RPG's with a superb turn based combat system.

Dawn of War 2 was another game I really enjoyed recently. If you are into Warhammer 40K it's great fun. (real time, small squad based strategy by the way)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. BosonMichael

I can absolutely confirm that. :D

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmmm

Strategy? no contest, Supreme Commander and Fordged Alliance expansion (Sup Com 2 on the way) along with Dawn of War (Dawn of War 2 is good, but gets rid of the base building aspect and integrates a sort of RPG element, great too!)

RPG? well outside of Fallout 3 I'm still a WoW fan, don't currently play, but not much has kept me playing for as long since Ultima Online was the bleeding edge! :)

I recently picked up Evil Genius again on Steam for $4.99, love that game haha (Dungeon Keeper with a Austin powers twist!)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Hmmm

Strategy? no contest, Supreme Commander and Fordged Alliance expansion (Sup Com 2 on the way) along with Dawn of War (Dawn of War 2 is good, but gets rid of the base building aspect and integrates a sort of RPG element, great too!)

RPG? well outside of Fallout 3 I'm still a WoW fan, don't currently play, but not much has kept me playing for as long since Ultima Online was the bleeding edge! :)

I recently picked up Evil Genius again on Steam for $4.99, love that game haha (Dungeon Keeper with a Austin powers twist!)

17. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have just finished Dawn of War 2 and thought it was very good - the single player is much better then the first.

Another vote for Fallout 3 - simply awesome.

What about the New Tales of Monkey Island games? - Esstentially Monkey Island in Episodic format.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. BosonMichael

I just started playing it... VERY Dungeon Keeper-ish! I likes.

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I lurrrved dungeon keeper :)
    Evil Genius is mucho fun though, played it for like an entire weekend after I bought it
    should of gone diving lol

20. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Total war series i used to play rome total war loads but i cant play the two new games since i have not had a new computer for years since i am poor.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job