Game-Core

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by loca1hero, Nov 18, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hey all,

Ok I’m looking at building a gaming PC for me (Any of you done this before?) and was looking at where to start 1st and then decided to go for the processor 1st, what would be a decent processor to buy ATM if I go for Intel .. .. any tips? and also if you guys have any other general tips about building a PC from scratch that would help. I think this will also give me more confidence with PC hardware . . and some good basic understanding of PC components

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Check out the OcUk forum.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

This place is my second home :D

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Been looking at upgrading myself and really tend to lean towards the AMD Phenon II X6 1090T at the moment :twisted:

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really depends on how much money you have to spend.

For a gaming rig I would look at a decent case (something with decent air flow and plenty of fan points).
    A decent motherboard, graphics card, cpu, psu and hard disk.

OCUK is definitely a good place to have a look as well as ebuyer for components.

I regularly build up machines (either for myself or friends) so any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I build them all the time.

For the cpu I would suggest an i5 as best bang for buck over an i7, i3 or any AMD cpu.

No game currently uses more than 2 cores anyhow, some still dont use more than one.

For the video card you dont want to go sli or crossfire because many games dont utilize the 20% performance gain you MIGHT get. So just go one video card and get the best you can afford I would suggest either a GTX 470 1GB or a 5870.

For the motherboard I usually choose Asus Rog boards but Gigabyte are just as good So an Asus Rampage Extreme formula 3 or Gigabyte UD7 would be great.

No game currently can use more than 3GB RAM so if you go for a tri channel board you will want 3x2GB ram but if you go for dual channel motherboard then 2x2GB would also be great. Some motherboards dont like having all four dimm slots filled so 2x2GB is better than 4x1GB.

Power supplies - never skimp on a psu there is no point in having a good system with a crap psu. If you were to get one the boards I suggested with the cpu and one of those graphics cards I would suggest getting a corsair 750 TX or a seasonic 800w psu at the very least.

Hard drives - in my opinion SSD is way over priced for the capacity you get so go for SATA. WD Caviar drives are good.

Case - Antec 1200 or coolmaster HAF.

Monitors - Just about anything made by samsung.

The rest is elementary and entirely down to individuals choice rather than whats best for gaming.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thank you all, much appreciate it, I have already checked OCUK and ebuyer :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

GBL that helpls as that's like you've given me the ingredients for the recipe. Now I know what I'm looking for, something on the lines of what you mentioned.

Simon I dont have a big budget to get everything top-notch, but don't wanna compromise too much either, will let you know if I get stuck or need to ask anything, cheers.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

GBL

why cant the games use more than the 3gb - surely if they were designed with a 64 bit os in mind they could be written to address upwards of 3gb?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not sure myself but im guessing that they are coded so that they play on all systems, cant say that ive ever seen a 64 bit specific game, have you? :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. greenbrucelee

Its down to the designers and coders. In fact no system needs more than 4GB unless your into heavy video editing, have a multi virtualization setup or do heavy drawing stuff with coral draw or photoshop

You will find that some games actually run worse on a 64bit system which again is down to how the game was coded.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it not down to the 64bit drivers? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee

that too.:D

13. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

If your on a budget, Pentium G6950 Dual Core's a good shout, costs bout £70. 2.8 GHz and I've read that it overclocks well. LGA1156 socket so with the right mobo you could always upgrade later. I'm looking at this for a system build I want to put together after Xmas (Please Santa, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease... :fatherxma)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  14. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I would like to go for Intel i5 its 144.00 ATM but is the best on the market as recommended by a few friends and colleagues at work, though Dual core’s a good option, but just want to eliminate the need for an upgrade for as long as I can, I will have to upgrade at some point but want to avoid it as much as I can.

15. greenbrucelee

i5 would be a wise decision. If you can go for the 760 if you plan to do any virtualization or anything in the future it will help alot.

16. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks, also I was looking at Asus n Gigabyte motherboards, just thought about rampage extreme ll, is it a good option to go for or the Gigabyte UD7, they both seem to be in a range I can afford, rampage extreme lll n I’ll be pushing it….:( But if its like i5 [best on the market] then I must get it…….

17. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Finally..... I have my gaming PC, should have posted this few months ago, I built my PC last year actually, finished building it Oct 2011 to be precise, and then got too busy playing games as you'd expect. Anyway here is what I used for my rig:

1. Asus P8P67 M Pro motherboard (B3 Revision)(P67 chipset & LGA1155)
    2. Intel Core i5-2500K processor (LGA1155) 3.30GHz
    3. Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB DDR-5
    4. G Skills Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) Ram
    5. Antec 300 Case (black)
    6. Western Digital Caviar 500GB Hard Drive
    7. Corsair Enthusiast TX750 power supply
    8. 3 x Yate Loon 120mm D12SL-12 LED Green - 1350 RPM & 1 x Yate Loon 200mm D12SL-12+4LED Green LED (1000rpm)
    9. LG DVD rewriter (GH22)
    10. Logitech LS11 Stereo speaker system
    11. Samsung Syncmaster E1920 18.5" VGA Monitor (Monitor size is due to ltd space ATM, might get a bigger one later)

I used ebuyer, dabs, WCUK and Crescent electronics to get all my rig. Its running win 7 64-bit
    Here are some pics of my PC
    IMAG0006.jpg IMAG0037.jpg IMAG0033.jpg IMAG0028.jpg IMAG0038.jpg IMAG0011.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your advice and tips :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012