Fully Patched

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phoenix, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well it was a bit of a mission, but removing the SP1 beta and installing the final SP1 required about three reboots and atleast half an hour even on my system

but all the pc's in my place are now fully patched ;)

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I am going to install SP1 on my gaming machine first...see that how goes then I will see about putting it on my laptop and main machine.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Not sure you will notice any immediate difference mate
    I only threw the beta on because my file server is 2008 and it uses SMB2 for some hardcore file transfer boosts, you need SP1 for SMB2 to work properly with 2k8 (works fine vista - vista with RTM) so I got it running a few months ago

it's nice to be patched though

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree better to be patched than not be patched at all. So is it available now to download or what?

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

atm only for MSDN and Technet Plus users I think
    as well as Enterprise agreement customers

It should be available for general consumption in March

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Hmm I do believe I have a Technet account. I shall have a gander :biggrin

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Server 2008 std / ent is also now available on the software assurance download page, cool. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Installed SP1 on my laptop last night, 45mins!

File transfer speed seems to have improved slightly! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I took the plunge and went and installed SP1 on all 3 of my machines...so far the laptop seems the only one that has worked fine. The gaming machine crashed through the 2nd stage and that didnt help cos I rebooted and the sound went all funny so I turned that one off to deal with another time.

The main machine (both these machines are running 64-bit Ultimate) installed the update fine until I went to watch a DVD using Media Centre. Now I dont know what cause is or why it happened and how. What I do know is that the SP1 update clearly did something to Media Centre on my main machine. I watched Die Another Day and that played fine with no problem. I then put Superman The Movie on and when it started playing I couldnt see the screen properly. It was heavily pixelated.

I tried another Superman The Movie disc I had and the same thing happened. So then I tried The Matrix Reloaded and that worked no problem. I then tried Independence Day and again heavily pixelated you couldnt see anything but colours all in big big pixels. I was losing it at this point. Then I noticed a trend. The only discs that were affected were the original discs (ones I had bought) the other ones that did work were copies (backed up ones of what I already own hence Matrix Reloaded and Die Another Day working fine). So I then decided to remove SP1 from my machine and leave it until either someone figures out there is a problem there or I just wont bother with SP1 on the main machine at all.

As I said earlier the laptop is fine and it even plays original DVDs with no problem. So perhaps its something to with 64 bit Ultimate or something else entirely. I even removed the codecs in case it was that but that made no difference. So, anyone else yet faced with this problem? It only affects Media Centre tho as I tried the original discs in PowerDVD and no problems at all.

10. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

I've taken the jump as well, I've got 64bit Ultimate on my desktop and 32bit Home Premium on my laptop. The laptop has been fine but the desktop had a similar problem (but with the TV). I updated all the drivers but still when I watched TV through media centre it was jumping and pixelated. Good news is its fixed but I have no idea what sorted it as I installed the drivers rebooted and nothing. I gave up and then two days later it started working fine. I hadn't made any changes to the machine and no vista updates.

I know this isn't a solution but if your lucky the same will happen.

Ozzy

WIP: A+ Network+
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well its something to go with so I will probably put it back on over the weekend. Thank you :biggrin

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I don't think I will be putting it on any of my machines until they bring out SP1a.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I installed SP1 the other day. So far no issues, but then again I haven't really tested it out. I just use in on a daily basis with my regular programs like itunes, AV, office, etc and no issues here so far. I am also running a 32bit Vista Ultimate.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA