Full Time Vs Contract

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note as I am in two minds and suppose I am looking for reassurance as it were.
    I applied and got a 3 Month HelpDesk role and its my very first IT Supoort job. I am 33 and after millions of applications, this firm (20 Mins from my front door as it goes).

I have been there about a month and I must admit, I love the job. The people are great, the job is interesting and Im learning more and more every day. The current salary rate is £9.00ph which isnt too bad either. Now, they (My Manager and the Finance Director) recently told me that they will be advertising the Helpdesk role as a full time position and would I be interested in applying. The starting salary is about £21,000 pa.

I have said Yes I would like to apply, but would I be better off going off and contracting again to get more experience or would a Full time role look better on a CV and benifit me more (Sorry to make that sound so selfish).

Many Thanks for your input

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

All good reasons to stay. If you still learning then stay until you feel like you are not going any further forward.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If it took you "millions" of applications to get this job what makes you think 3 months experience is going to significantly reduce that number before you get your next one? It's still a tough job market.
    You're happy with the job, you're happy with the location, you're happy with the salary, you're learning new things.....what's not to like?
    Once you feel you're stagnating and there's no way forward in that company, that's the time to think about moving on. You should have a year or two under your belt then and will look a much more attractive proposition to your next employer.
    That's assuming you get the job, but it sounds as if they're happy with you so far and most people take a "better the devil you know" attitude to hiring.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

This is also a permanant job with a decent salary for 1st line helpdesk. You would also need to earn maybe £2 more per hour doing contracting with it to be on a similar wage as you wouldnt get paid holidays, sick days, have to pay an umbrella company/accountant plus you can be told 5pm one night that your are no longer working there and that is it.

If you are more then happy with the place you work then try and get that position. Three months expierence aint alot at the moment as there will be people with years of expiernece also going for contracting work at the moment.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. bamboo

bamboo Bit Poster

IMHO, I would encourage you to take up this permanent offer :biggrin

Certifications: Nil
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT (ICND 1)
  6. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm temping and they're going to be advertising a full-time position for which they have encouraged me to apply for. Right now the only thing that is a monkey wrench, so to speak, is my visa status. Anyway, like others have said, you like the job and they like you. They have to advertise the job for it to be fair, but if you're already doing the job then you're more likely to get it since they already know that you are successful, and they would be HOPING that someone else they bring in could be successful. This temp period has essentially been a job interview, and if you're still there then you've aced it. One way of looking at it.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Cheers Guys,

I really just wanted to get a 3rd Person perspective on this in all honesty.
    Lets just hope I get the job now :D

Many Thanks again.