Frustration

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wires_are_bad, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Why is it whenever I search for jobs I get depressed! It seems as though I have no skills whatsoever in relation to the sort of requirements most jobs ask for.

Ive been studying, learning, getting hands on voluntary jobs and trying to get more certifications but it still seems as though it isnt enough. I know Im probably not alone :(

Does anyone else get put off by the overwhelming amount of requirements most organisations are asking for?

I know this has probably been posted up many times in the past :p

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i used to think that too mate but i have just finished an excellent course on various job things like cv's covering letters etc, and realised that if you actually read the job description, they may not be stipulating that you HAVE o have such and such but would PREFER it.

in other words, if you think you can do the job and fit at least 60 % of what they ask for, go for it! good luck btw! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Now thats what I wanted to hear! :D

I thought if I didnt have ALL the requirements then I'd be considered a timewaster!

oh yeah, moomins rock! :D

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

not at all mate, hr peeps are trained to read between the lines of apps so even if you go for a job which you may not be qualified for, they'll think " hmmm, a bit ballsy but we'll give him a shot".

and yeah they do mush!! :rocks

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

moominboy is right to be honest from what I heard is that when the job postings go up they want to get the best they can, no that does not mean that if you are lacking a cert or two or maybe a year of experience you cannot do the job or that no one will call you, on the contrary you are encouraged to apply because sometimes you have skills that others dont and even though they are not mentioned on the job posting they are still a good assessts.

Anyways good luck man.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

most jobs I see ask for the earth yet once in the door you dont need half of it(not saying all are like this but some are). I often wonder who writes these ads.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

The secretaries write the ads.... Hence over exagertation to make themselves not sound like pen pushers!! LOL. Only joking, not sure who writes them to be honest.

There is one place not to far from where i live that is strictly 1st line support, I went for an interview some time back, i had to sit a written exam with a pass rate of 80%. At the time i was not shall we say 80% clued up on Hardware/software.
    She did however give me a card to call if ever i felt i could get more than the 70% i did first time round

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  8. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Got to admit I got more than a bit hacked off with the lack of responses I was getting when I applied for jobs. Had a couple of interviews but nothing came of them. Since I passed my A+ I moved from my telephone banking role to tech support for oyr website so as soon as I've got my N+, I'll be updating my CV and I'll be able to show I have experience in an IT role. Don't give up and keep plugging away, something *will* turn up!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Edit:- :oops:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Would it be cruel of me to edit my typo so your post is no longer applicable :biggrin
    That's what I get for typing and eating at the same time.....
    It's not that I don't know how to spell, I just get lazy when it comes to proof reading....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nah, it'd be funny, sorry UCM :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

check out this crazy add for a job

Fantastic opportunity to lead systems administration, network and PC support for dynamic successful city based Financial Group.

We’re looking for a MCSE/MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA qualified. Must have at least one year experience in PC network support.

MCDST would be advantageous. Working know how of Cisco PIX, Veritas will be an added advantage.

This is a superb, genuinely exciting opportunity for the right candidate. We employ only the best and reward accordingly.

how can they say MCDST would be advantageous but on other hand u need CCNA,MCSE etc etc...crazy

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  13. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Having actually provided support to a leading IT agency I could tell you a few stories that would make your blood boil.

However keeping to the topic I can say that a high percentage of what is posted in a job ad is either not needed as part of the role or simply added to attract high calibre candidates (who more often than not won't work for the stated salary).

You also have to be aware that most agencies place false job ads filled with various certifications. This is called CV trawling and allows the agency to cheaply add CV's to their databases.

The best ad I've ever seen asked for a CCIE with one years Cisco experience willing to work for 20k, lol

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great thread! It appears there a few tricks that are being played....
    Good luck with the looking, may the force of CF be with you :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT