Frustrating Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I think I am actually going to smash my keyboard over my Monitor. I started a supposed 2nd Line Infrastructure Management Role Internal at the start of June, but its terrible and Mind numbing, and not what was portrayed to me at the Interview.

So ive revamped my CV bought a new suit and begun the process of searchin for a new role, a new challenge outside my current company.

Yesterday I had a interview for a role and basically I think ive blown it. I answered the technical questions pretty well, and the feedback gained confirmed that. What tripped me up was the competency questions, not because I couldnt give examples of where id done this and that, but it was how I communicated it across............I just seemed to crumble, and after every question i was looking into the air thinking what the hell did you just say Lee.

Not surprising, the feedback indicated at the end that this was the only negative I had in the interview (ooh and apparently I need to be more technical on my CV) Im pretty gutted and frustrated because, Ive done helpdesk since 2007 and before that I had done face to face customer service.

Its just interviews and situations like that, my brain becomes a dictonary of words, but unfortunately dosnt seem to know what order the words and sentences go in..............and I end up confusing myself and the interviewer:( Im frustrated because I had a terrible speech impediment when I was younger and felt I had conquered that, but situations like this seem to make me mumble and not communicate clearly

I feel quite retarded actually and know at 31, I should have conquered this by now - its certainly holding me back I feel...............Would Assertiveness clasess help with this? or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would not beat myself too much about it but take the flesh and rid the bones. I would invest in a good interviewing techniques book too. See below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interview-B...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280905706&sr=1-1

Best wishes and keep plugging away, as we've all been in a similar position in the past. It's a continuous learning curve. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It happens, there's always another try, another day, another chance. Don't sweat it too much, you'll do a lot better next time. It gets easier as time goes by, because even with interviews, practice makes perfect.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes just go to a load of interviews for jobs you dont really want.

Then when a good job comes along you will be prepared for it.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I talk too much when I'm nervous so I know how you feel, all you can do is keep trying. As onoski suggested it may be worth investing in a decent book on interview technique, maybe some face to face interview training as well.

Chin up though, just keep trying.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

From Jan '07 until July '09 (when I got my current job), I had about 12 interviews I think, and this doesn't include the second interviews for some of the posts I got invited back for. My first interview in April '07 was my first since Sept '00. I had left uni that year and was lucky enough to get a job at a large law firm doing 1st/2nd line desktop support. Suffice to say I got ripped to pieces in that first interview! I was well prepared, but got made to look silly with the technical questions. The competency based questions weren't a problem (and I think this is the reason I was doing well in interviews even though I was going up against people with far more technical experience). This is the reason I decided to do some self study to improve myself, as my last employer weren't going to encourage me to do this or get me into a more server/system admin role.

What I did notice that every interview since this one, I was growing with confidence and always took something away from the interview in terms of what I could do better and the feedback they gave me. It got to the point I was getting brilliant feedback but not getting the job, and this carried on for another 8-9 interviews. And was never given a straight reason why I didn't get the job. An answer I always got back was that another candidate just ticked all the boxes (erm, didn't you say that I ticked all the boxes as well?). Maybe they had their man/woman before the interview process, maybe they didn't - who knows.....

But the point is don't give up. Each interview you will get better, trust me...

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It happens mate. I have had some terrible interviews and other simply fantastic ones.

I found that best thing during an interview is to relate to the interviewer, for instance, if he says "Have you ever migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2010" don't just say "yes I did", go into detail about the pitfalls, go into depth and show that you obviously HAVE. Mention the fact that was a nightmare at some points bringing the other box on-line etc.

That basically shows you DO actually have knowledge of it, it reinforces it.

Relate to the interviewer is the best advice I can give.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I know exactly how you feel!!! I would be aswell going into an interview and going BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!, hence why i am still looking for my first IT Support role :rolleyes:

I keep trying to think to myself when i go into an interview that it doesnt matter because I have a job at the moment (hoping this would settle me) but to no avail. I guess it just a case of practise makes perfect.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I understand where you're coming from as I have been in that situation given such feedbacks from several interviews. The fact of the matter is that they can tell you what you want to hear or even not hear.

It could be down to them thinking you might not fit into the company's ways or even looks and speech on how they carry themselves. This might sound extreme but it does happen just that they sugar coat it to suit themselves using all sorts of excuses etc.

The bottomline, move on and get a good book on interviewing skills and keep on plugging away:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice and Im ordering a book from Amazon today. Ive also had positive feedback from ther Job agency, who for once i can say have been excellent and the agent Ive been dealing with has offered to speak to me to improve my interview technique.:)

I think one of the problems has been been with just how much I hate this new role Im in. Its completely de-motivated me and left me just wanting to walk out. Im closed to it now, but with bills to pay and a wife who likes new shoes, thats not really practical.

i think the pressure id put on myself to get out of this place and find a new role has kinda got to me a bit, and that probbalt didnt help with my communicaton skills..

I guess I need to think clear, think postive and communicate as effectively as I do wehen dealing with people at work.............well most of the time:)

cheers all

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

You're right totally. Sometimes I've gotten feedback from an interview (and this is normally a phone call rather than a letter), and you can tell that the interviewer is choosing their words to let me down as gently as possible. I think feedback from interviews is like a reference from a previous employer - you never/rarely get a bad one.

At my last place where I worked, the IT Manager made it known he wanted to bring the average age of the IT department up. So he would disregard anyone who was in their early/mid 20s even if they had the prerequisite skills. When I started there straight out of uni at the end of 2000, I'd just turned 22. And no one in desktop support or network support was above the age of 24/25. Even the Network Manager was 23! If you're good enough, doesn't matter what your age is IMO. I can get on with an 18 year old as well as a 70 year old, makes no difference to me.

I remember one interview I had at a steel company in South Yorkshire to do their IT support, and the MD said that some of the lads here have 'industrial' attitudes towards ethnic minorities, and he needed assurances that I wouldn't spit my dummy out if a comment came my way. So basically he was saying his workforce in the yard were racists! I told him exactly what would happen (and I won't repeat it here :D). I actually got offered the job but turned it down. Yes I wanted to get out of my last place, but not that badly that I'd work with a load of bigots. Then he turned round to the recruiter (and the recruiter kindly passed this info onto me) and said I wouldn't fit in here. So why did he offer me the job in the first place? Maybe to fill a quota for all I know, but it could be for other reasons.

But the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't deserve that job on the merits of my interview because he got my back up with the questions about the colour of my skin (which shouldn't matter, but did to him), and it came out in the interview. I suppose different places have a set of intangibles in the criteria set when hiring for a position that go far beyond what is written down on a job description.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You would think in the 21st century this wouldn't happen but you'd be sadly mistaken. Well just keep being positive and move on as appropriate as no point wasting time on waste, little minded thinking people:)

13. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Very true mate. It's the best way to deal with situations such as these.

14. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well Not surprisingly I didnt get the role...........but im not too downhearted, as Ive another interview Thursday which seems to be a better role. :)

So fingers crossed I wont be tongue tied and all will be well:)

15. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Good luck mate. Looking at your profile, you don't live too far from me! A fellow South Yorkshireman :biggrin

16. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I too have the same problem :D I find it a tad more difficult on the phone though.

ha, I do that too but doesn't work for me :(

17. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I a adopted South Yorkshireman:) Originally from Manchester, and Emigrated across to Barnsley in 2005.

Hmm maybe thats why the interviewer couldnt undertand my dialect .........a bit of "Mad for it, Mad for it", with an essence of "Tha and thee" thrown in......................:blink

18. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive had another interview today, I was better prepared, more focused on how I poratyed my answers to each questions...and.........

HELL YEAH, I found out 10 mins ago I got the job:)

Well chuffed:)

Boo F**king YAH. Eat that Mr Inner Self Destruction.

ANyhow thanks all for advice and Id like to pop this link on........

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/compet/skillquest.htm

It is aimed towards gradutaes but ther is some good advice regarding answering compentecy type questions in interviews, and also some bits and bobs about interview techniques in general:)

19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Grats mate.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  20. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Congrats mate!

Top result..