Free VMware Webinar Training - Stifford Academy

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by SimonD, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Guys,

Mohammed from Stifford College approached me about offering some free VMware Webinar Training along the same lines as Joe from Commsupport.
    I have told him that it's fine from my perspective but that it needs must not to be used as a means of only getting seats filled at his academy, whilst that's the case I don't see any issues but of course if and Admin does have an issue please let me know.

This is the blurb from Mohammed.

*****************************************************************************************************************
    Hello all,

NB: I've had a chat with SimonD about this

It's my first post on certforums (barring the intro from the: Greetings from the Cloud! post). While researching keyword searches on google.co.uk, I noticed a lot of monthly searches for "free VMware training". Here's an offer you might not be able to refuse.

I'm a VMware Academy Instructor (VAI) for the Stifford Academy, a project of the Stifford Centre, a registered charity based in East London. Like most not-for-profits, we are strapped for cash and are forever trying to work out creative ways of marketing our services. To attract more interest in our courses, we are offering 8 seats a month (up to 25 if the rest don't mind not having lab access), on the VMware vSphere: Overview course. This is an 8-hour course, perfect for beginners to virtualisation. The great thing is that the course materials are freely available for download from VMware labs:

See VMware vSphere Overview | VMware Labs

Please note that this course does not satisfy the prerequisites for the VCP5-DV qualification.

Scheduling

There's nothing like intense immersion in technologies and I'm thinking of running the course over 2 consecutive Monday evenings initially - 4 hours each. e.g. 6pm to 10pm.

Lab Access

Those who have lab access will have complete access to a single (non-shared) pod of equipment. Access will be for the session duration only unfortunately. The pod will resemble what we use in our ICM class, which tries in some way to mimic what you'll get out there in the real world with real VLANs and inter-vlan routing. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th8v1kr6a3... Diagram.pdf

The Catch

There is none. We're hoping to run these regularly. Electricity is currently included in our bill so our overheads are small and we get a substantial discount on the the webinar platform as a charity.

I'd love your feedback and can't wait to see you on the first course.

Mohammed

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. StiffordMohammed

StiffordMohammed New Member

All,

I'd been waiting for BT Infinity to be installed at home before scheduling the webinars. I'll be using the voip audio option to keep the costs down and didn't want choppy voice to be a "feature" of the webinars :)

Restrictions:

As I'm new to the whole webinar thing, I'd like to have a small number of attendees for the first session, 8 maximum.

Note

I'll be running these sessions from home so expect the toddler to interrupt proceedings once in a while.

Timings/Sessions:

Two consecutive Mondays - 7 pm to 10 pm

Session 1: Monday 25th of March, 7 pm to 11 pm
    Session 2: Monday 1st of April, 7 pm to 11 pm

Course Outline and Materials

Follow the link in the above post for the full breakdown of the course and downloadable materials.

Audience:

Anyone interested in virtualisation a la VMware or thinking of pursuing the VCP-DV certification at some point. As explained in the OP, this is NO way meets the prerequisites for VCP accreditation but is a great intro.

Register your interest

PM me your details including real name, email address and location (e.g. London) and current experience level with VMware and I'll pick the first 8 that appear in my inbox.

Thanks,
    Mohammed

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, VCP5-DV, Prince 2
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA
  3. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

Looking forward to this - already PM you.

Thanks

Certifications: Too many!!
    WIP: CCNP
  4. StiffordMohammed

All,

Not enough interest was shown for the above session so I'm moving it to the 8th of April.

Thanks to those who showed an interest - you'll be automatically moved to the next session.

Thanks,
    Mohammed

5. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

Is this still happening today?

6. StiffordMohammed

Yep - all ready for 7PM

7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I'll be there, I may be a few minutes late but i'll be there! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Can I ask how this session went?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

It was alright, a bit long in the sense that it started at 7 and finished at 11, but the breaks were well spaced and interactive student discussions and involvement with lab was a good idea.

Logged on tonight but it seems there is no training session. Checked my emails no messages there. Checked Certfoums and nothing on here about missing tonight session or cancelling it. Mmmm

Hope all is well…

10. StiffordMohammed

I've just had a chat with FSZ over email. The numbers dwindled to zero tonight - I was on for a bit and left a message on the screen for participants. I hadn't reached out to the non-CF community, which will be next steps.

11. droodle

droodle New Member

Hi Are you still running these please ?

12. StiffordMohammed

Hi,

I'm thinking of running these in a slightly modified form, but with a refundable fee - conditional on 100% attendance. With freebies, no-shows are quite common - a grand total of 2 people turned up for the last one. I consider myself a pretty dynamic and engaging instructor but could hear myself going into monotone mode due to lack of motivation :) Let me work out the mechanics of the refunds as I want it to be as smooth as possible for people who've attended.

Msg me with your email details and I'll keep you posted.

13. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

I've been using esxi 4.1 and 5.0 (I think), just very basic stuff. I have access to a lot of online training as a Navy Reservist, but I am definitely interested in any sort of a beginners workshop, should it materialize. Also, I've never used any commercial tools, just the free stuff. Not sure how smart it was, but I used an Acronis rescue CD to image a Windows 2000 server that was being virtualized for fear of it's age and that it's a custom XML authoring platform on Citrix Metaframe XP that can not be easily recreated due to the consultant firm that set it up going out of business. I used that image to create my virtual machine. Once I had it virtualized, and tweaked it until it worked, I duplicated that and upgraded one of my VMs to Windows 2003. So far I've not been able to get the custom app to work under 2008, so we're stuck there atm, but the VMware portion has worked very nicely. I've played a bit with the settings, how much CPU or Mem to commit, etc... My virtual 2003 had terrible performance compared to my virtual 2000 on the same machine. I couldn't figure it out, so I threw money it at, upgraded my server and now it works great... but that said, I'd love to know what the tools are, how to use them, and be certain that I'm properly setting up and tuning my VMs.

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)