FREE LINUX BOOKS!

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by zimbo, Mar 24, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

All Bruce Perens' Open Source Series Books

Prentice Hall PTR is proud to publish the Bruce Perens Open Source Series with Bruce Perens, Series Editor. This series focuses on Linux and Open Source technologies, including new and emerging technologies; and it targets professional software developers, system and network administrators, and power users. The Bruce Perens Open Source Series is designed to give a voice to up-and-coming Open Source authors. Each book in the series is published under the Open Publication License (www.opencontent.org), an Open Source compatible book license. Electronic versions will be made available at no cost.

About the Series Editor:
    Bruce Perens is an Open Source evangelist and developer whose software is a major component of most commercial embedded Linux offerings. Perens is the founder or co-founder of Linux Standard Base, Open Source Initiative, and Software in the Public Interest. He is the former Debian GNU/ Linux Project Leader who was instrumental in getting the system on two U.S. Space Shuttle flights, bringing respect to Linux at a time when few people were taking it seriously. Perens is currently a consultant specializing in helping companies form Open Source policies and processes.

To download them: click the book you want... then look for the downloads link... then just download it!

BTW: Bookpool are offering the Linux Quick Fix Notebook for just US$20! this is highly recommended by many people in linux forums so it must be good - have a look at it first if you want! BUT i have ordered mine cause its not going to be this cheap forever!

Enjoy guys! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Find Z!

:biggrin

3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I just totally misread the the subject and thought I was going to find out where to get some free Linux Boxes :oops: . How disappointed am I? :D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL! But seriously these are very good books baba - if you interested in linux these books seem to set you on a good path! 8)

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice find Zim 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's funny...I just bought a Linux box for $20.00 US. It''s an older PC but I got the computer, monitor, keyboard, PS/2 mouse, some Cat 5 cables and a power strip for the price...oh, and it runs Debian. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

$20 is no where near being free in my book Trip :D

That's a good buy though.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just thought I'd throw in another link. Here is a link to 6 online books that focus on *nix fundamentals. They're O'Reilly books so they are pretty good.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thnx freddy! Are O'Reilly the cream for linux/unix books?

10. ffreeloader

Zimbo,

O'Reilly books are very good. Many times they aren't for newbies though. But, if you want information, and nothing but information, O'Reilly books are the way to go. Just don't buy a "Nutshell" book and expect to get a beginners tutorial as most O'Reilly books are written with the experienced professional in mind. But if you get one of their books that has "Learning" in the title it will give a pretty good tutorial that a newbie can find very useful.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They also publish the 'annoyances' series, and the 'missing manual' series for Windows which are good as well.

But for Unix stuff I always head for the O'Reilly shelf first!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. ffreeloader

Harry,

What do you mean when you refer to O'Rielly's "annoyances" series? That's the first reference I've seen to such a thing.

13. hbroomhall

Right in front of me as I type is "Windows XP Annoyances"! :biggrin

It's excelent at showing how to deal with some of the sillier decisions made by Redmond. More info here .

Harry.

14. ffreeloader

LOL....

Thanks for that though, Harry. I hadn't known about the "annoyances" series before. It looks like there is some really good books in the series as I did a search on the O'Reilly site and found how many there are of them.

I learn something new every day....

15. hbroomhall

Glad to have helped..... :biggrin

I haunt bookshops, and usualy have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of them.

Harry.

16. ffreeloader

The next time I'm in a bookstore and feel that sudden chill down my neck I'll know it's you.... :twisted:

Actually, a bookstore is probably the one type of store in which I will shop for hours. Other than that I'm one of those in-and-out-as-fast-as-I-can-move shoppers. :biggrin