Free books!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Apr 13, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hey all, just thought I would throw this link out there in case it proves useful to any of you. Seems like O'Reilly have an 'Openbook' project and you can download free books from their website!

Check out THIS page and see if there is anything there to tickle your fancy!

:study

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Looks like O'Reilly is doing this in name only. They are trying to get credit for doing something, when, in actuality, they are doing nothing. The only documentation that I saw there that is relevant to today is the MySQL documentation, and that is freely available from the MySQL site to the public anyway. The rest of what they have up there is so many years old as to be completely worthless.

I'll give three examples.

Their Debian book was written in 1999. In the last 9 years there have been so many changes in Debian that very, very little of the book would be of use to anyone using a current Debian release. I doubt you could figure out anything but some of the lower level parts of Debian such as where files are stored. Nothing to do with the gui, kernel, or how the system itself works would be anywhere nearly accurate.

The exact same holds true for the Samba book. It was written in 1999. It is several generations of Samba releases old, and everything in Samba has changed. The Using Samba 2nd Edition book has very little relevance to Samba 3, which is the current release. It has changed so much you would never figure out how to use Samba 3 from reading a book on Samba 2.

Also, DocBook: The Definitive Guide, was written in 1999. There have been a lot of changes since then.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1