Free Anti-virus ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Ginge2k7, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Does anyone know of a decnt free anti virus program that will run on a pentium 3 1Gig with a measley 128Mb of RAM?
    I've tried Avast! and AVG Free but found that hang time when starting windows XP is anything up to 15 mins!

Certifications: School of life (and a few GCSE's)
    WIP: MCDST
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

128Mb RAM is more than the bare minimum spec for most AV software (they usually say 64Mb). I suspect that your problem may be more related to the fact that you are running half the absolute minimum RAM for XP - 256Mb. I have never seen a system run XP on less than 256 Mb with any sort of reliability whatsoever. You need to buy more RAM.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Agree with Zeb.

I've found AVG to be the least resource intensive of anti virus's. Just strip the AVG down to only the free av scanner software and choose to only manually kick off scans.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

well thanks for the advice but the the problem is that SDRAM is not too cheap is it ? and also "old faithfull" has been running fine on 128 with win XP for about two years its just that i cant ask to do too much at once if you know what i mean ! ahhh, dont make em like they used to do they ?

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I do agree with the other guys on the RAM perspective, and pricing is out of the bottom of the RAM market at the moment.

RAM Linky

However, if you personally feel it's the AV you're having problems with, I use Clamwin when I want a free solution.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Yep the RAM is on my girlfreinds xmas list as we speak, certianly cheaper than ive seen it elsewhere. Maybe i should be extra nice too her and ask for a new PC?

7. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Whats the virtual memory set to ?

Increase the virtual memory and select the option to "adjust for best pefromance" in the performance settings options (right click my computer, properties,advanced, perf settings)

this should increase performance if not already done.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with those that have said 128MB RAM sucks with XP.

W2K Pro would work fine.

If you adjust for best performance ie turn off all the unecessary garbage it willl run better, though at the moment, i would suggest chucking the old relic in the bin and buying a new PC and going for a C2D system with a dedicated NVidia graphics card and at least 2GB of DDR2 RAM. Trust me, you will not be disapointed 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I agree with the others on the RAM. Also I love Avast. In fact, we had a virus outbreak on our network infecting 80+ sites thanks to one of our admins botching the windows updates on our servers. Trend Micro wouldn't keep up with the virus and we would constantly get re-infected. We were working with Trend and they told us that it was a result of us being the first to get the virus and they were manually writing new dat files for us every day. They were trying to figure out how to stop the virus. I loaded Avast on a group of training pcs that were getting reinfected constantly, and it FOUND the virus, CLEANED it, and then they did not get re-infected. Shortly after, Trend owned up and "figured" out the problem. As a result of that, I have nothing but good things to say regarding Avast.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep get more RAM also increase virtual memory and turn off any memory intensive programs that start up when you boot your pc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. allblack

allblack Bit Poster

And there me Thinking i had a old rig lol. OK now im going to make you sick! If this was 6 month ago i could of giving you the 512MB SDRAM + my P2CPU and MB i put in the bin before i moved:blink

I do think i new or newer PC will be batter ones you'v got this problem done you'll have a new a month time from now if you know what im saying. Have a look at this site old PC and get your self a newer PC or a older one with the some SDRAM as yours £20 for a old Base units P3 or 2 If i was you and money was tight buy a P4 1.4Ghz base unit from them £70! if you'v not the money for a new pc

Hope this help

Certifications: in IT none
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  12. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Thanks for that link allblack.
    Yes i'm guilty of of still running an old P3 HP Deskpro but other than being a bit on the slow side compared to newer computers it does its job other than being wide open to any viruses, Zlob and Virtumonde to name a few that i've had.
    I dont know whether i got rid of them or just stopped them from working but ran various progs such as Cclean, Spybot S&D and i have Comodo BOClean running in the background. I went into gpedit.msc and i think it was an option to prevent 16bit programmes from executing, a clean Hijack this log is proof that after hours of tweaking I think I solved it.