Forum Handle

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A "handle" is another word for the name you chose when you signed up as a member of CF. We all choose handles because they have some sort of meaning to us. I know there's a thread running around here on this topic but it's been buried somewhere. Rather than search for it, I thought I'd be lazy and just start another one and this time pin it up top so everyone could always see it.

"tripwire45" comes from a couple of sources. I was creating a yahoo email account and considering registering for a forum (not this one). I was a total discussion forum newbie and noticed that everyone else had a "cool" alter ego name. I needed to come up with one and started thinking (this sounds pretty lame, I know).

I was in school at that time (third time around) and was looking for free stuff on the Internet. A group called Tripwire was giving away a free poster on port vulnerabilities and I was (and still am) heavily into free. I signed up for the thing.

At about the same time, my instructor introduced me to the "adventures" of BOFH at www.theregister.co.uk. I'd just read one of the stories that involved our "bastard operator from hell" using a cat 5 cable as a tripwire (I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this).

I tried creating my yahoo mail account with the name "tripwire". It sounded pretty kewl and butch and I liked it. Wrong! Some bozo already had an account with that name. Yahoo suggeseted I add some numbers to "tripwire" but I needed to figure out which ones. Cat 5 cable came to mind. What goes with Cat 5 cable but an RJ45 connector. I merged the two and tripwire45 was born.

Now how about you?

EDIT: Oops. :oops: Apparently, I need mod powers to pin this thread and I'm not a mod of this forum. Assistance please. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mine is a real nickname. When I was working in England one of our directors made up silly names for most of the employees, one was called dress, because he sulked like a women, another was named carpet because of his short curly hair. I was called bluerinse because my hair was very grey, almost white and it reminded him of the blue hair old ladies dyed blue. Anyhoo, it stuck and everyone started using the name. In the end I could care less and started to quite like it. If you can't beat them, join them, Also, there is no need to append numbers either because no one else wants the name for some reason :eek: Can't think why :rolleyes:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Mine comes from the name of a kid's TV character that my daughter and I used to watch in the afternoons (before I started getting "real" jobs !!!)

It was in the earliest days of CF that I chose it, and thought that as we were a tiny, and relatively (at that time) unknown site, I wouldn't be putting the site at risk of copyright breach. Lo and behold, one day I get a PM from Si to say we have a new Member - none other than the animation team who created Jak, and who were over the moon for me to use the big shelled guy.

I got in touch to thank them, we stayed in touch, and a little while after that they sent me an animated Av to use on here, plus a signed illustration for my daughter.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Jakamoko is an excellent handle and a great story regarding the Av :biggrin

:super

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Mines is simply an amalgamation of my name and my date of birth!

BORING!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Not as boring as mine Fergal. I originally started with AndrewJ being my first name and initial of my surname. When Si started the chat room Si and the gang started to call me AJ. It was a small matter to change my login handle to that, and there you are. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Even worse, mine is simply my name! :oops:

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  8. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Well, Gaz is my name (Gareth, but no-one calls me that), and 45 because I was born in 1981. errr....

Actually, its because i'm 45th in line to the throne.
    Or not.

No, really, its my serial number (specimen #45) in a top-secret government program to create genetically enhanced super humans.
    Obviously it doesn't work.

It could be the number of times I've read Lord of the Rings.
    Thinking about it, that's probably not far off!

Or maybe its just my favourite number.
    You decide!

Actually, its a bit of a crap handle, can I change it please?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  9. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Mine is the Spanish version of my first name (I lived in Spain last year) and the 1888 is for the year my favourite football team were founded.

You know who I'm talking about Jakamoko.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  10. DiamondGeezer

DiamondGeezer Bit Poster

:D I think were on the same page Pablo, wel i know were on the same page cos your post is right above me and..........never mind, c'mon the hoops.

DiamondGeezer, says it al really, cockney slang for a good, great, super duper, fantastic, smashing bloke. So I found him, hit him on the head with a shovel and now he's buried under the patio out the back. No one will ever know...errr....mmmm....doh!!! :oops:

WIP: mcp/ccna
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I never heard a word, mate. And if you say we had this conversation, I'll deny it. :P

12. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't go as far to say your simple Rosy???

Don't put yourself down like that, let us do that for you??

(Or did you say simply-same thing) LMAO :rolleyes:

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nice try, Cazzam. Now post how you came up with your forum name.

14. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

well normally for every forum i use or game i play i use the name b00bie. Which started off as Silent b0b (Kevin Smith fan), then a scottish guy i used to know pronounced it Silent b00b so i eventually changed it to that. The people started to call me boobie for short so that kind of stuck.

The only reason i used my real name here was because i thought it was a sort of serious forum.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

@ Pablo and Diamond - we'd better watch ourselves, or we'll get into trouble from Admi...........heeey,wait a minute........:hhhmmm[​IMG]

:offtopic

hail hail !!!! :wink:

16. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I came up with Cazzam a few years ago really, used in my
    password for work, rather than using Callum,
    it just sort of stuck really? the 35 was my age at the time although it should read Cazzam38 by now - not that i look it?

Bit boring really, but easy to remember at my age :(

17. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Gav? Whats he trying to say mate? :x

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Can't possibly imagine, Cazzam ................... :tune

:wink:

19. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

hehe, dont worry im starting to feel at home now, and finding your not all as serious as i first thought :rocks

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

BTW, your av says alot about you, too Stu_C. :biggrin