Problem Forgot admin password of Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by clark3244, Jun 29, 2017.

1. clark3244

clark3244 New Member

My dad changed his login password several days ago and now can't remember it clearly. I tried to ask help from dell support, no luck till now.

So what is the right path to get the laptop unlocked?

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

What OS is it running?

3. clark3244

clark3244 New Member

Windows 10

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Do you still have the OS disc that came with the laptop?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. clark3244

clark3244 New Member

No, it was bought from retail store. no install disc was given.

6. Inaserty

Inaserty New Member

i also have the same issue, then I used many tools like pcunlocker, uukeys, passcape even ophcrack,but didnt' work all.

and more..

i tried many password reset disk, but it seems it reset the password, but when I reboot and it still let me type password.

i'm also looking for ways....

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know roughly what the password is? Worth trying a few variations of the password first.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. clark3244

clark3244 New Member

Thanks for the input

I already tried all possible password combinations.

9. Inaserty

Inaserty New Member

I used to use password crackers (among other tools) for clients who forgot their passwords and those stopped working a long time ago.

It's becoming more and more clear that I need to advise folks, as a matter of regular practice, to temporarily enable the admin account and to create a password reset disc for each Windows 10 system they have. I just never think about this because the idea of forgetting one's password, or sharing it with someone such that they could modify it themselves, is entirely alien to me and violates the very purpose and principle behind a password.

One of the reasons that Windows no longer allows even regular admin accounts to change another user's password once the account is established is because of the mischief that some got up to when they had this power.

By the way, this seems a good place to ask, is a Windows 10 Password Reset Disc directly linked to the Windows 10 instance under which it was created or is it a general purpose tool for any Windows 10 system? I'd think the former, but never having used it or needed to . . .

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

11. Uaseer

Uaseer Bit Poster

For Windows 10 user, are you using Microsoft account or the local account ? there's a difference.......

12. Uaseer

Uaseer Bit Poster

Your software doesn't work on my Dell laptop, the first is registration, registration fail , and when I installed my laptop, my computer showed an interception plugin. I don't know why ,finally, the laptop cannot restart from the specified USB

13. Zassimer

Zassimer Bit Poster

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019