Forcing DNS?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by JC, Sep 19, 2006.

1. JC

JC Bit Poster

Windows 2003 AD, Cisco VPN Concentrator using latest version of cisco client. User is using wireless router at home, logs on fine, but sometimes it will register both her vpn assigned address and her router's assigned address in our dns, so if I want to connect to the machine i have to look through dns as it always finds the 192.168.x.y address ahead of the 172.x.y.z. address

Anyone know a way of forcing it to only register the cisco assigned one???

Ta

Certifications: 70 290
    WIP: MCITP
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

JC,

Is the user's "wireless router at home" the VPN end-point or not?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

JC,

My first suggestion would be to use DDNS. 2003 supports it, and I think 2000 does as well. However, in order to use DDNS you will need to use DHCP for the client addresses rather than a local address pool on the concetrator.

Configure the concentrator to forward the local host name to your DHCP server. The DHCP server will hand out the address and should update your DNS server. No changes are needed on the client side.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Spice_Weasel,

Windows 2000 supports DDNS.

Source: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for Windows 2000 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/dhcpnt5.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA