Force logoff remotely?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Baba O'Riley, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I did this the other day and now can't remember how so I hope one of you guys knows :unsure .

If a user is logged on to an XP Pro machine locally, and I log on remotely as an Admin, I want to be able to force the local user to log off. I'm sure I changed something in GPEdit.msc but I can't find where.

Thanks in advance. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Try going to Task Manager > Users tab and click the user account, then click Logoff.

Not using XP at the mo, so can't clarify if this is correct :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Baba O'Riley

Sorry, I didn't really explain myself properly.

If I connect to a machine with Remote Desktop and the machine is logged onto a local account, I get a message along the lines of "Cannot log you on as XXXXXXX is logged on locally". I managed to configure a machine the other day (whether t was the host or remote machine, I'm not sure) so that I instead get the message "Logging onto this machine will end the session of the local user. Do you wish to continue?" or something like that. I just can' remember how I did it.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Baba - that happens automatically when you remote into a PC that another user is already logged into (non-domain scenario here). I use it all the time at home - annoys the hell out of my daughter !! No separate config required :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i'm not sure. logging on with remote desktop doesn't log the local user off, it just disconnects their session (if i remember well) and locks the computer. which is why they can then type in their password and all their apps will still be open, etc.

you've got some weird computers there, let me tell ya :D

you made sure that the comp allows remote connections and you are logging on with say an administrative account from the local pc?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

If the username you are attempting to log in with is an administrative account you can log them out, otherwise it tells you to get lost.

Same as if you are trying to log into a locked machine locally (ie "only <comp or domain name>\<user> or an administrator can unlock this machine")

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  7. Baba O'Riley

That's what I thought but, but I am getting the denied message while logging on as an admin and the local user is only a Power User. I will have another fiddle when I get home.

Cheers all.

8. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Try it when the remote computer is locked

Then try it when the remote computer is on the desktop (not locked)

I think that when you connect and the machine is unlocked it will ask the current user if they wish to give control away

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, this is what happens when i RDP home when in work and someone is on the machine.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Baba O'Riley

Not happening here, I'm afraid.

11. Baba O'Riley

In looking for a fix for my problem, I found this which is a workaround to allow a remote user and a local user to use a PC simultaneously. I haven't tried it yet though.

12. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Well please let me know if it works...you can be the test rat this time :D