for those who have VMs

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 6, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Where did you get your copies of the OSs you run on your virual machines?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If they're Linux, practically anywhere. If they're Windows, I have to buy them or use trial software. For servers I use trial software which lasts for 120 days which is usually long enough for my purposes. At work, when I need to install a VM on my desktop which runs Virtual PC, one of the engineers gets me a cloned VM. The company has already paid the license fees for the number of full version server machines we need to run.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Action Pack, or purchased.

I'll likely go with TechNet Plus Direct instead of the Action Pack this year.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee

I have a proper lab at the moment but just two PCs but I would like to get a proper setup with virual machines for when I go for other certs. I don't have bags of cash to buy full on copies of OSs so I am trying to figure out a way thats cheap and not dodgy.

I know that MCDST book comes with a trial version of (I believe xp pro) but I would like win2k3 or maybe win 2000 too. Any ideas?

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

All licensened through our Software Assurance scheme at work. Which also covers us for home use as well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. BosonMichael

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Do a Google search for trial versions of the operating systems you want to use. I don't recall Microsoft ever releasing trial versions of their desktop software but trial server software should be easy to come by. I'd imagine that Windows 2000 Pro would be going cheap on eBay just now.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah good point BM, you get free trials of most software with the MS Press books. They aren't always the best books, but it's a good feature ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

All the operating systems i use i have either bought non OEM in the past or they are from the Action Pack. I am using Vista Ultimate for my main PC and that was bought as it doesnt come with the Action Pack.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. BosonMichael

Well, you used to... until Vista. The cover of the book (at least, originally - not sure if they changed it) states that an eval copy of Vista is included on the media in the book. But... it doesn't.

11. greenbrucelee

Cheers people, I suppose it won't do any harm in me buying those books I'll be getting MCDST one shortly anyway so I'll get the MCSA training kit too although I wont be actively studying 120 days is a while to get to grips with things.

Reppage to BM I never thought of getting those yet.

12. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Action Pack subscription.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you can also download 120 day trials, its not a huge effort for most modern broadband connections, just cut the ISO to cd/dvd

I have an MSDN Universal sub (quite pricey) but it gives me access to ALL MS technology pretty much, which is good or me
    my ESX copies i got via a VMTN Subscription which no longer seems to exist, so I rely on my partner NFR copies now, although they are work specific as I personally am not a partner, so I lose access to them when changing jobs

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Technet Plus Direct

15. greenbrucelee

cool cheers, I need to some DVDs then :)

I just looked at Technet plus direct, seems good but I could only finder server OSs on there or did I miss something or am I not understanding rightly? If I set up say Server 2003 as the host, then I wont be able to put 2005 on there only OSs like windows 2000 and xp, vista

16. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

O good ICO for VM thread :biggrin

I have been looking for Citrix evaluation copies. On the Citrix to get a copy have to be a reseller.
    Anyone know were I could get a copy only for VM.

Thanks

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Action Pack and Technet subscription.

Also use the trials with the MS Press books, Server 2003 Enterprise edition was included. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I had the MSDN subscription for a while, which contained most of Microsoft's software, but will probably be getting the TechNet Direct sub since it contains everything I need, minus the developer tools.

19. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

Keep an eye out for the launch of Server 2008 if it ain't to far away from you and it is worth it for the licenses ye get.
    Got my Vista License at the Vista launch last year :)

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

My Server 2k3 installs are all done from the 120 day trial that was included with the 70-294 book. Doesnt really need activation, so you can just keep reusing it. Of course, you have to reinstall every six months, but i can live with that.

hell, if you set up a domain using them, and planned it right, you could stagger the expiries on your vm servers so that reinstallation neednt screw everything utterly

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present