Follow up email

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Feb 9, 2010.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Basically I have applied to loads of roles and I have not received any information regarding those that I have applied to.
    I want to email the companies involved, how would you word and email to them.

Should i just be Hello
    I applied for such and such a role on (date) I was wondering if you came to a decision?

Any help would be appreciated?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

While it's usually considered a good idea, it's unlikely to bear any fruit.
    Chances are, in the first instance, they won't remember why they didn't like you.
    Your CV may have been one of the first 100 in the bin because they didn't like the font and they won't even remember your name.

If you did make a first impression and they do remember why they binned you, they won't tell you.
    In this mad world we live in, HR departments live in fear of being sued or taken to tribunal.
    If they say they binned you because you didn't have 5 years expereince, and you find out that neither did the guy they hired, but you're black and he isn't, all manner of unpleasantness ensues.

Mind you, I haven't actually seen these fears materialize in real life with unemployed people taking employers to court and challenging their criteria for decision making - it's still something that HR people like to get in a tizzy about.

You'll only end up with some generic waffle about the high caliber of applicants and high volume of CVs etc.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

By all means send a follow up email. Just ask them if they received your cv and to let them know you're still interested. The chances that you'll hear back from them are slim but if you do it, it's a little advantage over the next guy who didn't.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Fair point indeed.
    There's me being all doom and gloom!

My first p/t job was with Marks & Spencers.
    They were hiring for Xmas so it was mad.
    I went for an interview and heard nothing for a couple of weeks.
    So I went back in and asked to see the HR manager who had interviewed me.
    She fobbed me off with some general comment that all the offer letters had gone out, so if I hadn't had one then 'sorry'.

Two days later I had a letter offering me a job.
    Was it because I made the effort to show more of an interest.

F**k knows.
    That's where the story falls down a bit, but it would be nice to think so.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

do it. I wouldnt be in this job if i hadn't!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If you are applying through agencies then it is the norm with them. They are getting 100s of cvs for single posts now. Plus they arent the nicest people on the earth anymore as they are gettingas much commission anymore and are really hard done by because they have to work to get their candidates into jobs.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

thanks for your responses, i guess the bottom line is it cant hurt but if you havent heard from them then you probably havent got it!