folder size search?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Using XP Home edition, I have 2 hard drives, the one which came with the pc is a 40GB but I am seeing only 3GB of free space left and since I have always been experiemnting with both music and video files I am guessing that I mahve forgotten to delte some large files somewhere on the C drive, is there a way I can get to view which folders on the C drive are the largest so I can narrow this down or do I have to go look at the size of every folder one by one?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Try this free utility called TreeSize Free V1.77 Mike..

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. mikehende

Yeah man, this is just what the doctor ordered! Amazing how you guys here find and know about these things, thanks. :D

4. mikehende

Hey Bluerinse, how can I place an icon or shortcut to that program on the desktop? I don't see an icon anywhere, only the exe? I had seen a "quick launch" icon upon installing but I never place any item down there to cluster up the taskbar.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There are various ways of doing this, so for simplicity sake I will just cover one.

Right click on the desktop and chose new shortcut. Then browse to C:\Program files\Jam software\TreeSize and click on the executable file treesize.exe and click next and type a name for your new shortcut like TreeSize and then finish - Bob's ur uncle :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. mikehende

got it, learned a new trick, thanks!