Flat Earth

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Feb 16, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does anyone believe this?

We are all told that the earth is round but how can we actually really know?

I am part of various groups on FB and even though personally I dont believe the earth is flat, some of the questions posed by flat earthers do make me think.

To be fair I question a lot these days which I think is very healthy.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

The Greeks knew that the Earth was round. All you have to do is stand on a cliff and watch a sail boat cross the horizon. Somebody on the beach will lose sight of it before you do, and the last part of the boat either of you can see is the top of the mast because at the horizon, due to curvature, things disappear from the bottom up.

The questions they pose in order to make you stop and think despite the extreme ease of proving them wrong are presumably well crafted fallacies. Most of the people out there who think they question a lot of stuff all the time are just as easily misled by false syllogism and affirmations of the disjunct as everyone else.

Consider Guardian readers for instance, a notorious collective of self elected intellectuals who are easily spoon fed ill informed opinion. 9 out of 10 of them would probably accept the following false syllogism without spotting the error:
    Daily Mail readers are fed a diet of spiteful lies, I read the Guardian. Therefore I am not fed a diet of spiteful lies.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    Pseudonym and Jaron78 like this.
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Thats one way to put it ha ha. I did like that reply to be fair.

I dont think the earth is flat but I do question why people would think that these days. There is one bloke on FB who's only comeback is to constantly say, 'prove gravity exists', but thats it. He is into all the conspiracy stuff as am I, but somethings I dont believe.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hmm – sounds like a good debate after a few beers :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs