Flash Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I put some music on a friends flash drive for him to stick on his computer, he said he "did something" that removed everything from his flash drive, the flash drive is an "Integral" flash drive. Now the flash drive is a 4GB flash drive but now with no files on it, it is saying there is only 1.95MB of space on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Has he just accidentally 'hidden' all the files?

If there's only 1.95MB of space left, still sounds hellishly full to me :unsure

If you're (or he's) not sure how to show hidden files and folders, let us know the OS that the flash drive is plumbed in to.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He needs to figure out what "something" he did, or he owes you a flash drive and an apology for nuking your files.

Then again, sharing of music isn't exactly something I look too keenly on anyway... :dry

I'd recommend reformatting.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds very much to me like Windows Readyboost (Vista using space on the stick as a drive for disk cache) has screwed up somehow.

Did you friend use the drive with Windows Vista?

If it's not this or hidden files then yeah... reformat. Should solve both of the aforementioned problems.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have checked if they were hidden (no joy there) the OS he is using is Windows XP home, i also reformated the drive still the same tho (1.95MB)

6. Arroryn

(silly mandatory question)

What file format did you reformat the disk with?

Were the files MP3 format? Did you have any other file types on the disk?

7. Qs

Hmm... maybe its got a screwed up partition or something...

Read this article and follow what it says. I'd recommend downloading the software mentioned too.

Let us know how it goes.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

It would only let me format as FAT and yes it was only MP3 files on it, nothing else

9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Did what the article said, it did give me an extra option this time on the format file type instead of just FAT it also gave me NTFS this time, selected NTFS and it wouldnt let me format it, tried FAT again and it would let me format it :dry

10. Qs

Normally you can only format USB drives as FAT/FAT32. You can't force an NTFS format through command prompt nor right-click the drive and format that way.

To enable NTFS as a format option change the policy on the device from Optimize for quick removal to Optimize for performance.

To change the policy - rightclick the drive - go to properties. Click Hardware tab -> Select USB drive -> Click properties -> Click Policies.

This should give you the option to format as NTFS (using either method listed above)

Let us know how it goes.

NB - This is the only known way (IIRC) to add the NTFS format option to USB drives. I know its touched upon in the previous article I suggested but just make sure you're doing it correctly. If it still doesn't work then I'd ask your friend to get you a new flash drive.

11. Arroryn

I have the option to format my flash drive to NTFS in Vista... got a Vista machine handy? :unsure

It also allows you to set the allocation unit size (in case that's gone awry)

All other articles relating to NTFS formatting in XP are exactly the same steps as the article provided by Qs.

Also, have you tested this on another machine (with a different OS) to ensure that it's not a local problem (such as in the disk management services) - pathetically long (and possibly wrong) shot I know.

12. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

tried what you said.....no joy! Thanks for the help guys, just have to be more carefull in future

13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I also tried the Vista machine, thats didnt work either! well looks like it has had it, just have to be more carefull in the future :rolleyes: