Fitting WAN Technologies Together

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by ClassicD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Hi

I have a few questions, The thing is i know how all these technologies work but im trying to get my head around how they all fit together? Can someone verify this?

I am wondering if Frame Relay and ATM are only for businesses who need some virtual circuit, and am i right in thinking that they would either use T1/E1 or Fiber carriers for this?

Or is Frame Relay and ATM used in all types on WAN technologies, so for example my DSL or cable modem is connected to some POP and after that it will use Frame Relay or ATM or MPLS using a T1/E1 or Fiber carrier...and after that probably a T3/E3 or Fiber carrier and probably after that on the internet backbone SONET using an OC? Also since SONET is i think protocol neutral, SONET would still use either Frame Relay or ATM or MPLS?

Is it the likes of Frame Relay and ATM that will get replaced by MPLS.

If anyone can help me out to give me an insight of how these technologies fit together...maybe a diagram or link to a good web page?

Regards
    Classic

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Here you go mate, have a look at this Cisco Wiki, it's got a very good section on the most common WAN technologies and how they connect.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetworking_Technology_Handbook#WAN_Technologies

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Been there bud thanks though

I guess im just wondering how they operate together. Do you know what i mean, how do the Frame Relay work with ATM and SONETS and all connect together..

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT