FITS - ICT Support in Education: Manager level 5

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

FITS - ICT Support in Education: Manager level 5, for those that don't know FITS is a less complex version of ITIL designed mainly for the Education sector (but providing the "same" best practice framework results), however the principles can be applied to other sectors. The Manager's qualification is comparable to a HND level qualification.

Well following on from this post, I'm currently on my first day (of 3) on the level 5 course.

So far the subject matter that we've covered so far includes:

1. Recap of level 4
    2. Directory Services Administration (not to be confused with AD, but a Directory of Services and the administration of it)
    3. Print and Output Management
    4. Storage Management
    5. Performance Monitoring
    6. Preventative Maintenance
    7. Energy Conservation
    (and the case studies to go with them)

It's been very good so far and going at a steady pace, the most difficult thing (in this case) is to stop thinking as a tech/IT Manager and start thinking like the SLT/SMT (Senior Management Team, in other sectors it would be like the Board of Directors).

Tomorrow, the schedule is:

1. Service Level Management
    2. Service Continuity Management
    3. ICT Financial Management
    (and the case studies to go with them)

Can't wait for day two...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Nice one Ken!

Keep us updated.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sounds interesting mate. Keep up the good work and updates for fellow education pro's.
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Well, I was partially right about the subjects today...

Plus also..

4. Capacity Planning
    5. Availability Management

On today's subjects, I have to say that I've enjoyed Continuity Management and Financial Management the most.

So far, this course has opened my eyes, especially on the reporting side of IT for not only the benefits for budget/project planning and forecasting, but for also the day to day running of IT Services (costs, maintenance, more effective/efficient work practices, etc...).

Tomorrow's the last day plus exam, so I'll give a review of the course as a whole then.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Kitkatninja

Well this morning we did two scenario's to consolidate what we've learnt over the last two days, then we had a revision lesson (so basically 16hrs approx compressed then concentrated on the key points delivered over about 1 1/2 hours). Before we had a break for lunch, which was pizza :)

Anyway, it was interesting.

In the main scenario we went thru this morning, we had to establish what aspects of ICT Financial Management, Print & Output management, Storage Management, Performance Management, Preventative Maintenance, Energy Conservation, Service Level Management, Service Continuity Management and Directory Services Administration was already there. What wasn't there and what we could implement/what was needed.

To be honest, it helped alot that we worked in groups, as everyone that came to the class had different experiences to build on and share.

The review portion did go very fast, but to be honest, for me not alot of it sank in as I was still digesting the information from the previous discussions/sessions.

The exam itself was a combination of technical and non-technical questions, 90 minutes are allocated to the exam itself (most people finished the exam within 45 minutes), there are 40 questions and the pass mark is 60%

My score was 65% :)

One thing that I would have liked to see on this course would have been "Workforce Management", but then again that may come in on a higher course/exam, if one is developed.

-Ken

6. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Without giving any secrets away ... Well Done Ken :biggrin

It was a good course, perhaps a bit more of the technical aspect was included than expected (a bit more than senior managers are likely to be happy with), but working through the case studies was very good, highlighting the importance of ensuring an all round view of ICT in planning.

I'll let Ken finish off with his thoughts ... apart from thanking him for offering to talk about Virtualisation at our next IT Managers' meeting.

7. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Typical ... he posts as I am typing mine!

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well done for passing it mate. I hope they taught you some disaster recovery techniques also, we trashed the place while you were on the course. (to allow you the opportunity to start again with a blank piece of paper of course. :) )

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Kitkatninja

[​IMG]

A well deserved rest now, so currently installing my father's day gift from Joshie: Mass Effect 2 :)

-Ken

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

This is what's wrong with society, they sold a 18 rated game to a 2 year old! :)

360 or PC btw? If it's the latter, then I'll borrow it when you finished please. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done Ken and what a great choice of game! I competed Mass Effect 1 and have been meaning to get 2, who knows, I might get it tomorrow :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. Kitkatninja

PC mate, the only things that are being played on the Xbox now-a-days are movies :)

Game play is a little different from Dragon Age (thought it'd be similar as done by the same company), but so far so good :)

-Ken