First!

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Josiahb, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Well, I went to my first BCS meeting yesterday evening and I have to say it was an interesting experience, despite being the youngest person there by a good 5-10 years I found the talk and discussion to be highly informative and well worth the visit.

There was a lower turn out than I was expecting but this actually seemed to help the discussion along a bit rather than cause any problems.

Unless other events intervene I'll be heading along to the next one on the 26th January!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds good. Where abouts was the meeting? And just how old are you then? :p

I'll be attending some when my BCS membership goes through - finally got around to completing the forms yesterday.

Qs

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear that ! Where was the meeting and what was the subject ?

Attendances do vary all over the country. Dorset tends to get 20-40 typically depending on the subject and how much I nag people to attend :p

Most Committee are only too happyu to hear from Members though so never be afraid to drop them a line with suggestions for meeting topics.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Steria Limited, Hemel Hempstead, Herts

Managing the Collaborative Environment: the role of the Information Manager

Tim Batt, Senior Analyst, Livelink Implementation, Arup

One of the most difficult tasks facing our efforts to improve collaborative working is getting everybody who matters around the same table to make key decisions. All too often, where project managers, engineers and innovators are being whole-heartedly encouraged to adopt novel engineering and design methods, the requirement for good Information Management tends to be overlooked. Tim will describe how you can create a structured, collaborative project environment that fully services the information requirements of the Project Team.

Oh and I'm 25 :)

5. Qs

Crap... I'm definitely not going to one then :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

We encourage a lot of students to attend from the local Uni as they get a really good deal on Membership. The networking aspect at meetings can also help some of them get to know potential employers too

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I may have been the youngest but I wasn't made to feel unwelcome because of it, there seemed to be a wide range of skill levels and skill sets even amongst the small group that were there and that received more focus than peoples age.

Particularly the looks given to the poor sod who asked what metadata was about half way through.... :p

I may suggest the uni invites thing to the local YPG rep and see whether they've thought of doing something like that, Hertfordshire Unis main campus is all of about 3 miles up the road from the offices they use for the meetings.

8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

He just doesn't want to show up all of the 'seniors' :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. Qs

Now you've got it :p

Qs