First Step!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Robbb_uk, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

Just taken the first step on the cert trail, and bought the Meyers All in One A+ Certification Exam Guide book and cd. It's a hell of a lot to get through!

What are other peoples opinions on the best way to study the A+ from scratch? This is my first ever go at any studying in IT, and I'm hoping the A+ is the best place to start. Do I read this book from cover to cover first, then learn each section? Or do I learn each section till I know it well before moving on to the next?

Any help will be most welcome!

Rob

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

read through the book however you want mate...I am on the same trail but I have over 7yrs experience in building PCs by teaching myself and I have read A+ Complete Study Guide by David Groth and its a whopping 900pages and I am sure its the same with the book you have. I read the book from start to finish and now I am just reading the objectives needed for the exams but you do learn new things along the way. Take your time...dont rush and also practice some stuff on a PC so you get a general idea of how to deal with them if they do really happen. you will be surprised how many of us tecchies dont get everything right (i'm sure the others may beg to differ :rolleyes: ) I have decided to take one exam at a time so I am still reading the objectives of the Hardware exam and hope to take the exam sometime in Sept and then do the Software in October...after that its onto Network+ and hopefully MCSE. slowly but surely is what I say. but remember you dont get anywhere unless you play around with a PC as thats always the best to learn. right guys?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

Thats cool, the kind of answer I was hoping for I guess. So at what point will I need 2 computers? Not till the network+ ?

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well you may not need 2 PCs...I only have one and I use that to practice on...but if you ask the other guys they will tell you of a software call VMWare...go to the Software forum and you will see the VMWare discussion and you will see what thats all about..but basically it allows you to run different OS's on your PC without the need to buy more PCs. but read about it and you will see what I mean...I tried to install it but it nearly killed my system so I am leaving it for now till I either upgrade or build a better system.

5. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

hey that sounds like a handy piece of kit, I'll look into that cheers!

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I tried self-study at first but it didn't work for me. With absolutely no experience, I was too scared to even open up my computer. I signed up for a program at my local university so I could have a safety net and it made a world of difference for me. Of course, other people can learn this stuff just fine on their own.

You have the book and you should get at least one computer (hopefully other than the one you use for day-to-day use) to play with. It's not just a matter of memorizing what's in the book...it really helps to practice what you're being taught. Open the box and play around with what you're learning about. Also, networking rocks and the A+ does cover some networking basics so it will help a little if you at least get two cheep computers and a crossover cable.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

Cheers, so wheres the cheapest place to buy a computer these days? Bet theres people on here who can let me in on some little known sites!

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Robb there's nowhere better than www.ebuyer.co.uk good quality stuff and really really affordable prices...now unless you know how to build a PC thats the place to go...in terms of getting one already built by a company maybe your best bet would be Dell. but its better to build than buy one already built cos it comes with crap you dont need and also a Recovery CD instead of the full version of the Operating System...I always use ebuyer.

9. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

good site cheers!

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no probs mate...thats why we're here...altho I am still wondering exactly why I am here :rolleyes: :D

11. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

I think i may buy a component at a time and build my own pc. Something to be done seeing as I've never done it before. Get myself a case and start chucking bits in it! hehe

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Two words: form factor.
    :)

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u forgot compatiblity trip...thats number 3...

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My bad.
    :oops:

15. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Are you sure about that?
    Do you know absolutely nothing at all, zip:!:

Of course, if this is the case, then fair enough.We all started at zero.
    Some wise old chap *cough* young man once said that we're not born knowing this stuff :D

However, you'll find if you spend a few days really having a think about it, that you may know more than you think you do.

Yet another reason why the meyer's book is so good is that at the start there's some questions testing you on what you already know.
    This is excellent, as it helps you focus on your weak areas, and know what your good areas are.
    So refreshing when I saw this pre-test in the meyers book.Now that is how books are supposed to be written, excellent:!:

The pre-test is in the 4th edition which I have, and I'm presuming it's in the 5th addition also.
    If it's not, then ask your own questions in order to gain your current level of knowledge.

Once you've figured out where your at, ie/ 'strong areas vs weaker' areas', or 'know a little about that or what on earth is that'
    then your strategy should be..........

to go to the parts of the book which seem most familiar, or that which you know something about already.

Don't:!: start on a chapter which is quite alien to you.You need to start on a chapter that will most familiar to you already, thus getting the ball rolling and making you feel positive as you go into the later chapters.

Start where you like in the book.Whatever takes your fancy, just go to that.Scan the index and go to wherever seems interesting at that time.

Purpose and asking questions

Ask yourself, why do I want to know the information in this book?
    Then ask more specific questions about particular topics in the book.
    Really arouse your curiosity.
    Develop a firm purpose before every reading session.
    Turn the title headings into questions, then read to answer that question.

Scan the book before you sleep.What you want to do is skim through the book turning the pages, and not slowing down.Just glance over the pages and ask questions.You may feel like stopping and reading, but don't:!:
    Keep going and then have a sleep.This will make you feel really curious the next time you pick up the book.

Always stop short before ending a reading session.What I mean is, don't read until your totally drained, as if you couldn't read another word or your brain would explode lol.
    That will not make you feel like going back to the book, as you'll just remember the bad feeling of overkill.

Stop reading when your really getting into it.Say your reading a chapter and your finding it really interesing.You've been reading for 30 minutes and you feel like you could read for another hour at least.
    Your feeling really good because it's starting to make sense.

Stop:!:

Put the book down and walk away.Believe me, it's the best thing you can do, although it will seem like the worst thing you can do at the time.

Btw 30 mins - 1 hr is the longest you should study for before taking a break.

A rather advanced technique which you might like to try is cutting out subvocalization as much as possible.
    You'll probably not be able to do this at first and understand the text, but practice with it.It saves a lot of time and is far easier on your brain :blink

Lastly some basic reading tips:

- Open up your field of vision and read a few words at a time, instead of the usual one.

- Only look at the top half of the letters.You'll still be able to read it, and it will likelly double your reading speed instantly, as you eyes have to take in half as much text.

I'll probably think of some more, but that's it for now.
    Good luck.

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

christ almighty flex....how long did it take u to write all that? I was half asleep half way thru that!!!

EDIT: Its that big my post goes on to the second page...

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Some really good advice for all of us there flex (although it looks very familiar).:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

LOL@flex22.
    :D

19. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Erm, hmm, about, well, er.... about ten minutes I think :unsure

You could print it out and reference it when you get insomnia noelg24.Dlad to be of service :dry
    Quite amazing:!:
    :iagree

Another kind of mind trick which will only take you a minute is this:

Define an overall purpose, your overall goal, what you want to achieve by undertaking this study, and what you will be like when you've achieved excellence.
    For example: "I will study and become an excellent PC technician.All of the information from this book will propel me to success.I am an excellent PC technician"

Next, associate what you've just said with an image.This can be absolutely anything, abstract, a personal possession, anything.

Refer to the image now and again if you like.

That's it:!:

20. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

Loadsa help there guys!

My current situation is, I am reading the Meyers book from start to finish, whilst having a play with my own pc. This is what Meyers suggests to do first if you have little or no pc tech knowledge.

I've read the first two chapters on the visible pc and microprocessors. Although this is a lot of information to take in, Ive absorbed a lot of it, and think I understand most of the concepts, which is the main priority when first reading the book I think.

Once I've read the book, I can then go back and make sure I understand everything requires in each chapter for the A+. I dont think this is a task beyond me and I am quite looking forward to the challenge.

I'll keep you guys informed on how I'm going, and no doubt I'll be on here asking for clarity when I become completely stumped!