First Step On The IT Ladder

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by alsav54, Apr 27, 2008.

1. alsav54

alsav54 New Member

Hi Guys I'am new to the forum.

Is there any good IT training courses out there,I want to get on the first step of the IT ladder but on reading this forum it seems nobody trusts any of IT training companies.:shocked
    Like a lot of people on here most of what I know about computers is self taught but to get a job in IT you need Certificate's, qualification,s or what ever you want to call them.Would appreciate any good advice :idea:

2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

There are alot of people in this forum that use them. It's true some of them are horrible.

However, there is no point using one if you dont go to there workshops etc ... that's what your paying for.

Also you will still have to use third party study materials and other sources of information along side... I think that goes for anything really.

With regards to job placements and careers advice .... NO company can guarantee a job.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You do not need to do a course or go with a training company to get a qualification.

If most of what you know is self taught then why are you going to stop it? you can just carry on teaching yourself by buying the relevant books and doing the practicle side yourself then take the exams when you are ready.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. supernova

A lot of entry level jobs don't require any certification because they include training, true you will need them to progress in the future.

don't forget the ability to self organise, prioritise and be apart of a team is highly important with IT jobs along with a willingness to learn and work hard. These are the qualities that employers look for with entry level jobs.

Andi

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not true at all. I've been in IT for about 3 years now, and I had no (commercial) experience or qualifications when I got into IT - Not even a standard grade in computing.

Hell, apart from a single qual paid for by my employer, I still dont have any certs.

I started at the bottom rung (Frontline support), and am now a Software Developer.

If you want to get into IT, start looking for entry level jobs now, Dont wait around till you have certifications.

Bottom line: Whilst certs can make you stand out more, its by no means mandatory to get into IT.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. alsav54

alsav54 New Member

Thanks for the all the info lads,I am really supprised that it's not a necessity to have qualifications to get into IT ,looks like the best thing to do is to start on the bottom rung (Frontline support) like you've all suggested and carry on with self taught lessons.

I can't afford to wait around to long I,am 53 and the years are flying by :rolleyes:

Sounds like what Fergal1982 says "Dont wait around till you have certifications",is very true.

Thanks Again :thumbleft

7. supernova

Fergal that's because you went to the wrong job interview the bar job was next door.... LOL

Anyway... sensible mode on ....

entry level jobs seem to be in short supply at the moment especially where i live.
    majority of jobs in the south east seem to be top end

AC

8. mcshap

mcshap Bit Poster

Hey,
    Good luck with the job hunting.

I agree that the training market is filled with courses that promise the world. However, self-study doesn`t work for everyone and it can go on and on.

A mcse will not get you a job, however it will help with getting a job interview and confidence in knowing that, as long as you have studied properly, avoided the normal dumping ideas, you will know what you are doing.

I have been working in the field for years and I can honestly say the MCSE is worthwhile, courses differ in quality, but with my freelance trainer cap on I would not ignore this route. Just be careful with selecting the course.

Certifications: MCSE , MCITP, MCT, CTT+, VCP
  9. alsav54

alsav54 New Member

Thanks for that mcshap ,

The Book I got at the Moment is Mike Meyers All-In-One I,ve just started it and hope to gain CompTIA A+,not sure how long it will take though.

Do you think it's best to go striaght for the MCSE course.

This that many courses in IT it's all a bit confusing especially when your first starting.

10. mcshap

mcshap Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply. I have a student at the moment in a very similar position. She is working in a helpdesk role, and undecided about what courses to do.

It really depends on what job you are aiming for. The A+ is mainly entry level, however it is taken with the Net+ as the elective in the MCSA.

For a hands on tech role, I personally teach aspects of core networking, cabling (patching, crimping, theory), client and printer issues. After this, a student could concentrate on exams such as the A+, Net+, and MSDST. Combining both real-life job skills and course aspects, a new starter can learn the skills required for most IT job roles.

It is easy to say that a certain certification will help you get a job, but I believe that knowing the right techniques, real life skills and a combination of certs is the way to go.

If you need any help, let me know

Certifications: MCSE , MCITP, MCT, CTT+, VCP
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said above A+ N+ and MCDST you should NOT be doing the MCSE unless you have around years experience working in a job as a network engineer.

Also the MCSA should not be done unless you have 6 months working as a network administrator.

This is what Microsoft recommend and if you do have those certs most employers wont employ you because you do not have the required experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. alsav54

alsav54 New Member

Think I will carry on with CompTIA A+ then networking.

When I finely get into IT and gain a bit experiance I'll consider what my next course will be.

Does anybody have an opinion on the book I using "Mike Meyers All-In-One" or would you recommend any other on the market.

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I hate to tell you this, but you're going to have to find the right employer to find a job at your age. I'm 55, and just broke into IT after a career as a service tech in HVAC. It took me 3 years of hunting to find a job, and then I'm self-employed, but with one main client for whom I work all the time.

Your age is a big mark against you with employers because, rightly or not, they view IT as a young man's game.... I don't want to discourage you from trying, but just warn you that it may be a long hard haul to get that first break. I almost gave up, and I'm about as stubborn as the day is long when I decide to do something. Everyone, and I mean everyone, in my life was telling me to give it up and find a job doing something else.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. alsav54

alsav54 New Member

I appreciate the advice Ffreeloader,I,ve known all along my age is against me ,But I.am not one for giving up.

No matter what Job I go for at 53 it's going to be a struggle.

I really enjoy working with computers and it's about time I stuck with something that I get pleasure doing.

Cheers