First quiz night

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nugget, Oct 8, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay I'm planning the first quiz night for sometime next week. It will be about the A+ topic but first I would like to know who is interested.

A couple of points first. I think at the moment it will be restricted to people actually studying for the A+.

Also a time needs to be set so I propose Tuesday night.

Skype, MSN Messenger or the chat room? Personally I think MSN Messenger as you can type a lot more text.

Please let me know what you thiink and if you can make it. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

only people studying for the A+?
    bah humbug :)

I think MSN might be best if you have a fair few attendees, ofcourse they would all need MSN

but with it we can log the results and tidy it up and post it, for future users to see

skype wont give us that ability, and im not sure if the chatrom has the ability

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Great new's Nugget, was wonderin when that was gonna start. Tuesday sound's fine to me, and either the chat room or MSN Mes. get's my vote for the medium

BTW, cause of the time difference here, I wouldn't be able to make it in till about 9.15 PM GMT.

So, if it's earlier than that I can't guarentee (spelling?? lol) I'll make it. But if I can, I'll be there. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Smashing idea mate...put me down for that...it would be great help when I book the exams hopefully in a couple of weeks. brilliant. I dont mind using MSN messenger either but if I am at work I wont be able to use either MSN or chat room cos it wont allow it :( but unless its on a Tues evening then I am definitely up4it...thanks mate. :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. christof

christof Nibble Poster

more than up for that. It's gonna help me loads now.

Let us know the time and what not. If it's on MSN give us a second cause I don't use it so I'll have to set it up.

My first quiz! thank god it's not pass the parcel, I'm crap at that it always landed on the person next to me.:biggrin

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hmm now there's an idea :hhhmmm
    Stay tuned:!:

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes the chat room does log all discussions an they can be retrieved if needed, let me know if you would like them and I'll send them out as and when.

HTH

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nugget, I think you would be better off using the chat room. That means that other people who might just what to watch can do. Just my 2p's worth

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

That sure sounds like a better idea...some folks might feel a bit shy or intimidated at first. This would let them ease their wasy in.

2€ more :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay then the chat room it is on tuesday night around 9'ish european time.

One thing Si, is it possible to post/paste more than 1 line of text into the box? Just thinking that it's going to be a lot of copy paste for the multiple choice questions.

Christof, you obviously didn't learn that you should hold onto it a little bit longer. :D

Jak, I'm going to take AJ's advice. For 2p I get the same advice and a beer for the 2€ you offer. :D Sorry mate but the competition is fierce. 8)

So as I see it we have

punkboy101 after 9.15
    noelg24 but only on tuesdays (is this right?)
    christof
    flex22 maybe (I can save your q's for later, or if the boss isn't looking :D )

Anyone else up for it??

This is good as it gives me an idea as to how many q's I need.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  11. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

I'd be keen to sit and and watch from the sidelines as it's pretty unlikely I'd be able to answer any of the questions! Is it ok to be just an observer?

Definately sounds like it'll be a good learning experience.

Cheers,
    Derek.

WIP: A+
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yep, just tried it and it works fine for me. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Let the bA+tle commence then ! :biggrin

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes nugget Tues night anytime after 9pm...just have to let the missus know tho...she gets very uptight about me being on the PC rather than being in bed with her :rolleyes: :oops: :eek: but if your doing it any other night so long as its after 9pm then I am there :D and as Jak finely put it LET BA+TLE COMMENCE! well its more a war of geeks really if we think about it...and Phoenix keep your 1TB out of this one...:hahaha

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey doc if you let me know which book you're studying and where/what you're up to then we can also work around that.

Noel, I still don't understand, is tuesday a good day for you or not? It's not fixed in stone. We can change things around later.

Just thinking to myself now 'I better not screw this up'. By the looks of it will also have a large'ish audience too. :oops:

Also just thinking that if it goes reasonably well that anyone would be able to participate. Just with a higher standard of difficulty.

16. AJ

Well I'll be watching :biggrin (if that's OK)

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I can see what your thinking m8, but wouldn't that begin to defeat the purpose, aka to help those starting out, or part-way through the A+ to learn more and fine-tune their skills gained from the books ?

IMHO, you should stick with your original plan - A+ students only. No harm in having others look on (dont be nervous !!!). Also, do you want a Moderator present, or are you not fussed ? Either way, let me know.

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Jeez mate I think the whole audience will be made up of Moderators. :D

Point well taken about the participants though. Just trying to be a bit fairer by not saying you can play and you can't. :oops:

19. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well no not really.

Well let me explain.
    I came up with this idea a few weeks ago.However nugget has added a lot to it and has taken the bull by the horns and really realised the potential of this technique for learning.
    In the conversations we've had he seems really enthusiastic and is working hard coming up with questions.I take my hat:king (I nicked noel's joke, dont tell him) off to him.

Isn't it the least we can do is to all have a go at answering the questions, eh I mean it's not mastermind.If you don't know, just say pass:!:
    Don't know:!: whatever:!: guess:!:
    Yeah but only when you join in.Learning is an active experience, not a passive one.
    You won't learn a lot by simply watching.You may think you will, but you won't.

Nobodies judging anyone here.This isn't a forum we're we take the p out of people for not knowing as much as other do.In fact if anyone where to do that during the quiz or in a posting, I myself and the others would give that person a serious virtual slap.
    If you've got the impression that you should feel inferior to others or afraid to ask seemingly stupid questions or afraid to try and answer peoples questions because you think your not worthy, then somehow we must be conveying that.
    Which is odd because I've never given a cr@p whether my question was stupid or not.I've never felt like anyone would judge me, and I don't think they have, so they aren't judging you also.

You may think I'm going on, but it's a vital point.

If you'd rather sit on the sidelines it conveys that you don't feel like you can open up and just be yourself (whatever your level of knowledge) on this forum.
    It's a sad state of affairs if that's the case, I must say.

nugget isn't getting these questions from some site you know.He's working hard in his own time to come up with these questions.
    All we have to do is have a go at answering them.
    There's no first prize, no runner up, no booby prize.

Everybody who replies, just say yes or no.And for pity sake noelg24 would you make it clear if your going to turn up or not, ON T U E S D A Y:!:
    Unfortunately I'm working, but I'm sure nugget will do us all proud, and I hope you lot get a lot of enjoyment and learning from it.

20. AJ

errm OK flex point made, however nugget did say that the quiz was for people studying for A+ and no-one else. I am not studying for A+ and I would like to watch in the background just to se how things pan out. Not to gloat or jump in with a quick jibe just to see how it goes. And if Nugget needs a Moderator then there is one.

But I do take your point flex. :biggrin