first project build specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fastrhino, Nov 5, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

1. abit fatal1ty aa8xe s775 pci-e 1066fsb gbit lan 7.1 ch audio usb/1394

2. 630 p4 3ghz 800fsb ht 2mb cache with em64t

3. 160gb HD 7200rpm,8mb sata

4. 80gb HD 7200rpm,8mb sata

5. 2x1gb ddr2 5400/675 mhz

6. 256mb x800gt pci-e ddr3 256bit graphics card

7. plextor px-716a/t3uk dual layer dvd writer

8. Aopen h660c mid tower 350w psu (prescot ready)

9. windows xp pro ? should i go for the 64 bit version?

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It's been a long time since I've looked into building a PC, so I'm a little outdated with current technologies, but it seems good to me.

Just out of interest is this going to be your primary workstation? or just a lab PC?

Bit of overkill if it's going to be a lab PC!

Does the Processor that you're buying support both 32 bit and 64 bit os's?

3. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

this is going to be my primary system and will be used for my labs as well, i am planning to buy a cheap and chearful system to use as well, and i have this toshiba laptop i am using now.

i want to future proof this system as much as i can so i have decided to go components which will support new technolgies.

i will look in to the cpu supporting both 32 and 64 bit OS's

4. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

just checked the intel web site and this cpu will support both 32 bit and 64 bit computing

mick

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

fairly good spec mate...altho I wouldnt go for XP Pro 64 just yet cos I have heard so many bad things about it...so I would stick with 32 bit XP Pro for now...till they sort out the major bugs...also I would have gone for an AMD 64 CPU...but its not bad at the moment....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

now that raises the old AMD v INTEL debate i just think intel are the better option, they are the market leader in cpu technolgy or am i wrong?

I have never owned a AMD cpu system all my previous systems have had intel inside

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

if u have been reading recent reports AMD are on their way to being the market leaders in the CPU market...Intel are currently having trouble with some of their CPUs...I have been using AMD CPUs for 5 years and wont ever go back to Intel again...plus AMD are cheaper and more reliable...well at least for me...plus u can overclock some AMD CPUs like mine...as to where Intel CPUs dont even run at the speed they qoute...so for example a 3.0GHz CPU will be running at either 2.8GHz or 2.9GHz...I have even had case where the Intel CPUs have been running at 2.5GHz instead of 3.0GHz...

8. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

so i could save money if i run an amd based system, what chipset would be best for a 64bit amd cpu

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

10. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

having researched my intel 775 socket mainboards and which chipsets are compatable with the 600 series of p4 cpu's, i know have to look at verious compatabilty issues if i change to AMD based system such as memory, going to the web sit now to have a look.

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you dont need to worry much about compatibility with AMD based mobos/chipsets cos the majority of mobos/chipsets will work with AMD CPUs...but on the site it gives you details of them anyway...

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

can we get over the falicy that AMD CPUs are cheaper? whilst this was the case a few years ago, modern athlon chips cost about as much as there intel counterparts

The AMD vs Intel debate is nothing but opinion, there are hard facts on both sides for the pros and cons for a system, at the end of the day, its personal preference/circumstance that it comes down to these days

please also ignore the 'amd rates its processors at what they measure upto against intel cpus' as again, this was the case with the pre northwood p4s, things have changed alot since then

AMD / Intel are as good as each other, but Intel has a far more stable history, and as mentioned, its down to opinion, there is really bugger all in it these days in the desktop arena

As for your system, sounds great mate, cant see too much wrong with it
    id stick with the 32 bit os, but you will lose certain 64bit functionality, your processor should still have a bit of a bonus over a 32 bit equiv system
    obviously you could take the athlons into consideration, that will mean re speccing a mobo though, so a bit of reasearch envolved, but its all down to you, i've heard good things about the fatality board, im waiting for the new Asus P5N32-SLI board that just got announce on annadtech :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

thanks for the advice phoenix, i am sure that the amd v intel debate will rage for some time to come, but for my money intel as a better reputation and status, I personally prefere intel but only because i have never had amd, and where have the other cpu manufactures gone like cyrix.

mick

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

don't forget a good PSU, ,like a targan or zalman. Your pc needs quality, crisp, perfect power :biggrin

Try www.overclockers.co.uk

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT