First line support - is this the only way to get into IT?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bloomfieldliam, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

As per title really, see my profile for certs, I've been struggling to get anywhere as a Field Engineer or Technician.

Every avenue seems to point towards 1st Line Support, I know my skills and strengths lie in hands on break fix, peripheral support etc but all the job specs want experience and I don't have any well at least not formally, I know some of you will think yeah any tom dick and harry can fit a DVD drive but I've done total builds, upgrades, fault finding, virus removal, preventative maintenance, OS installs, software config, demonstrations etc etc I could go on.

So does being 1st line escalate to 2nd/3rd line which I assume is more hands on stuff? 1st line I know will bore me to death but I'm getting desperate.

Any 1st, 2nd, 3rd line guys willing to share their stories?

Liam

Edit [Blue] title as requested

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

err, in this post im at now (agency), i was originally doing database (web) work, and then my contract finished, as i finished the project... my line manager, kindly arranged me to do some work in one of the I.T. depts..

i was told by the admin girl that i was going into 1st line, but now im in here (since june), i found out its actually second line, and worse thing about it, its dead easy... i reckon which ever line you are at, it dont really matter, as long as you can do the job... i even do calls that are not on my list for 3rd line, which are actually some challenge, its possible that they have their lines mixed up... cuz seriously what gives! with this easy work... i do more work than most people here, i faff around with my virtual machines and spent a lot of time here on CF (time seems to slow down)... or if im really fed up, i pack my bags, and go on site and fix probs there rather than doing it remotely...

Anyway, the point being is; it may be dependant who you are working for, as to how much hand-ons on experience there is per line...

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can’t dismiss a 1st line support job without even having worked in that position, you would be surprised what skills you can pick up and use in other IT roles.

Also you have to start somewhere! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Due to the fact that first line support has more positions available than just about any other job in IT, it comes as no surprise that job recruitment agencies are actively trying to fill those roles. It is also true that the job is not that interesting because as soon as an interesting issue crops up it will most likely be escalated to second line support. Hence people usually get bored.

Having said that, the *key* to getting any decent job is in networking - I don't mean IPX, appletalk or even PicLan, I mean people networking. Once you are in a job even if it is only first line support if you have the ability to people network, you will come into contact with people that may have a profound affect on your future employment roles. This is how things happen, nothing will happen sitting at home and complaining that you can't find a suitable role.

You do indeed have to start somewhere and nobody in their right mind is going to let a newb into their server room for obvious reasons.

Good luck!!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree you know to be honest I did a system admin job for a bit and left after that because I wasnt payed well at all and because the manager him self had many issues to deal with (personaly issues) anyways I landed a job that stated 1st line desktop support and I figured right away that its gonna be much easier less responsibilty and that I wont learn much. 1st day of work I realised otherwise, the job stating 1st line desktop support is actualy quite challenging and infact working there for 1 month I couldnt be more happier, I mean I learn things everyday, the job has many projects, task, etc and its always different, also the people are very nice so to be honest I was wrong with my impression. Give it a try and you might be surprised by what you are gonna learn and how you gonna benefit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

Well maybe I am being hasty, thanks guys for showing it in a different light.

I start on Monday, at first I get to go onsite and shadow whilst doing software installs (custom progs not OS's) maybe my view will change maybe not, I'll report back.

Liam

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - i found that if you get a chance, take it, and once your in there, as long as you're determined and keen to learn/progress, you will enjoy the work, cuz then they will let you in on different tasks rather than just the one...

Good luck.

8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

These job descriptions can really vary from place to place.

Some places the 1st line will just log calls and assign them to the next team and do things like password resets. Other places it's really hands on/in at the deep end.

As long as you get in there you'll have a chance to learn and progress at your own pace.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I started my first IT job 6 months ago - 1st line support for a government contract - didn't think I'd learn too much, but I did.

Admittedly I soaked up all the information after 3 months, but two months later a 2nd line desktop support role appeared in London - I went from a temp in 1st line to permanent in 2nd line.

With a nice 60% payrise as well :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Lately I've just been posting a few thousand flyers through local doors that were made up on my PC - not very pro i know, but it works. I'm doing £25 an hour repairs for simple things (I live in cornwall so £25 is a lot down here). Just need more clients, more flyers out, need tog et around to making my site, loads of bits....but the general point is this:

Surely it's better to create your own future. Build your dream not someone else's. Whatever "job" you are in will keep you ticking over Just Over Broke. As your income goes up, your expenditure will tend to go up. Start a business, expand it, make it run itself. wash, rinse, repeat. Donald Trump, Branson, Bill Gates, Andrew Carnegie - I use them as role models - along with Kevin Rose and other web genii. Success comes from having the time and freedom to spend all day doing what you please, in my mind. Slaving for somone else for 40 hours a week doesnt quite fit into that picture. Building a business one client at a time is different and way more rewarding, in my experience.

Certifications: MCSA & A+
    WIP: MCSE CCNA
  11. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

I could'nt agree more, I landed my first I.T role recently not because I am techinally minded but because I work hard and am very reliable.

Although I am A+ certified I am hardly Mr know it all but it was a stepping stone for me to prove myself to my boss.

He even said to me at the interview that he employed me not because I am technical but because I have showed the willingness to learn new skills and have funded my certs out of my own time and pocket. The technical knowledge will come in time but the key for me is I know the business inside out, have a good understanding of our equipment but more importantly I know how to talk to our forecourt engineers which takes many years of hard work and arguing to gain their respect I can tell ya! :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270