First job, advice please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by danOne, Mar 14, 2006.

1. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

Hello,

I have the A+ cert and will be N+ (hopefully) in a month, when I get that I'm planning to get a job at either CompUSA, Circuit City etc. or a local computer repair shop. Only think is, I'm worried there might not be any advancement oppourtunitys like from computer technician to lets say networking or linux. I will still be working on new certs but I don't want to be stuck installing hard drives and having only experience in that, you know what I mean?

I want to move up the chain with time, but I'm worried there is no moving up the chain in some places.

Some advice and comments would be appreciated,
    Thanks! :D

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all if you going to try and get a+ and n+ in one month then unless you the new MS whizz i dont see it possible? :blink experience is everything.. if you can get stuck installing hard drives for a year - you have one year support -you have your foot in the door- from there you can build on experience and look at your next door opening as you already have some experience under you.. no point in having lots of certs to show and no experience, it will only make people wonder how you got them - yet again in todays market jobs require certs first... so you have to juggle and get the right ones according to your experience level.

Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your first objective should be to land your first IT job and take it from there. Entry level jobs will give you an idea of how IT works in a commercial environment which is all part of the learning curve.

If you feel in time that you have outgrown the job and there are no promotion opportunities then update your CV and start looking for a new job. You will have the all important ‘commercial experience’ on your CV which is always a plus point.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

Stupid question, but is CV resume?

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

I already have the A+ and been studying for the N+ for about a month and will take the test in a month from now.

Where would you guys recommend to start, what kind of job?

And, how can I make sure I don't get stuck? Like for example, I work as technician or support for a year. I don't see how I get to Cisco (even if I have certs) from there.

I hope I'm clear enough,
    Thanks.

7. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

I also heard of jobs that once you work there the employer might actually pay for your cert exams and such things, because he wants you certified..

Any paticular place?

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

my mistake sorry.. :oops:
    You should look for jobs like Junior Support, Helpdesk and 1st line Support.. these are all entry-level roles. The downside of todays market is that even entry-level roles alot of the time want some experience so i think you should look around to doing some unpaid work or get a trainee postition for about 6 months then look at jobs again..

8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

My employer is paying for my MS exams, some places do it because if they have a certain number of certified staff they can be a certified solutions provider.

What field of computing do you want to get into? You mention Linux and Cisco.

Your first job is just a step on the ladder to get you in to the industry.

If you want to do Cisco networking I'd suggest applying to ISPs and NOCs (Network Operations Centres) and ask if they've got any entry level call centre positions available.

As long as you've got the drive to progress and keep getting certs and improving yourself you'll move up the chain wherever you are. You need to get on it first though so don't turn anything down.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  10. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

I don't really know what I want to focus on, so I'm trying to be pretty versatile. Right now I'm going for my network+ and then getting a job. While working I'm planning to get Linux+ and maybe LPIC (basic linux certs), because Linux is used on servers and Linux knowledge can't hurt. I am also planning to get a Cisco cert, maybe learn some programming..

I just really don't know what to focus in. Once lets say if I get into networking should I just keep on that? Like go for ccna ccnp maybe ccie etc? Or be a little more versatile..

Lets say I work as a technician getting paid just about minimum wage for a year, would that qualify me for some better jobs, you think? So I can "move up the ladder".

Thanks!

11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

That's a bit of diversity there, in the long run a good combination of skills but for starting out you need to separate them into bite size chinks and decide on an order to do them in.

Don't do it all at once, go with what you want to do because it interests you.

My advice is to:

1. Right now- Focus on the cert you're studying for
    Take any IT job for experience.

2. Move on to next cert- you choose between L+ or INTRO, or programming- cross that bridge when you come to it.

Do step 1 and focus on step 1 until it's done.

12. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, most likely. How important is programming though, I'm asking because outsourcing is being used a lot. And what programming certifications and such things are there.. What language to start with? Web language (PHP) or 'program building' C++/VB.

Thanks.

13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

If you want to go the programming route instead of the system admin route I'm not the best person to advise you.

There's programming to become a developer and programming to be a top system admin who can take advantage of the open source benefits of UNIX and automate admin tasks with scripting languages.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that UNIX/Linux is programmed in C so that's a good place to start. I'm not too sure about scripting languages, VBS is a good one for windows, not too sure about *nix though.

14. danOne

danOne Bit Poster

Thanks.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)