first IT interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by carlfinn, Jun 3, 2007.

1. carlfinn

carlfinn Bit Poster

hey guys, got my first interview next week, and would be really grateful for any feedback. As this is my first interview for an entry level position i want to make an impact. I have recently attained the A+ cert and am currently doing mcdst. The job itself is basically a support role for a local company. I really could do with some inspiration as i want to land this job.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi.

Visit this web site and look for interview techniques as this is brilliant and all you need for a kicking get the job type interview.

www.computing.co.uk

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First off, congratulations on the interview.

For the rest of it, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Interviews can take all sorts of shapes and forms so it's hard to tell you in advance how to prepare.

That said, there are some things you can do:

Assuming the company has a web presence, go to their website and learn about them. One common interview question is "Why do you want to work for us?" It's kind of lame to say "Because you were hiring and I need a job". It helps if you are actually interested in the company and can tell them why you find their outfit attractive (solid company, heard they are good to work for, opportunities to grow...that sort of thing).

Be honest. If you don't know the answer to something, say so. An experienced interviewer will be able to see through you if you try to BS your way in the interview.

Emphasize your positive traits. An interview is about selling yourself and letting them know why you'd be a good fit in their organization. That's another thing to consider...they are not only trying to hire someone who has the quals to do the job but someone who will fit in with the team. Very few jobs require a "lone wolf".

At the end of the interview, they'll ask if you have any questions. If you do, ask them. Remember, just because they're hiring doesn't mean you will want to work for them. Find out about benefits, opportunities for growth, training, and so on...whatever is important to you. Most companies won't discuss salary in a first interview so don't be concerned if they can't/won't answer all of your questions.

Get the interviewer's business card and send him or her (or them) a thank you email within the next day. Find out before you leave when you can expect to hear back from them. If that amount of time elapses and you've heard no news, call and politely inquire how the process is going. If it's between you and another candidate and you are more interested, chances are, the job is yours.

Good luck, mate.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Goodluck, matey. Go get that job !

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

As said above do research on the company so you know what they do.
    Be honest & mention studying for MCDST in your own time.
    Dont tell porkies & if you dont know an answer dont try to blag it!

Good luck.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

good Luck Carl, I too have my first interview this week so the advice posted above is very usefull to me also. Fingers crossed:D

this is a excellent site, cheers.

and some nice advice from Tripwire also....

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You might also want to check out the advice already given by some members of this forum, here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Majority of the time the IT manager will be on the interview panel, so he will know. If you honestly do nnot know the answer, just say. If you know the answer, but had a momentary laspe, let them know and say "Can I get back to you on that one in a bit". I appreciated it when I interviewed candidate, they showed initiative when asnwering questions or doing a practical. Oh and 1 more thing, be yourself :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. VantageIsle

Just read the thread posted by fergal .This is all good stuff, its really putting my mind at rest.:D

the interviews I have had previously have been for my current occupation ( a paint sprayer) and I know my job well so it never has been a problem.

I have never worked in IT before, so this is a large step into the unknown... yikes!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This says basically everything I would have said. Good stuff, Trip.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

All learned the hard way...many, many years and many, many skrewed up interviews. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. carlfinn

carlfinn Bit Poster

cheers guys for all the advice you gave me. It proved really useful when i had my interview yesterday. The interview went really well i felt, and i am hoping to hear from them next week, re: 2nd interview. Once again thank you for your advice

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

A belated besh wishes for this job Carl ...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. VantageIsle

Likewise, Thanks for the good advice guys.

fingers crossed for you Carl.