First Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by alsheppard, May 4, 2006.

1. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I have just received a call confirming my first ever IT interview since my A+ pass for tomorrow afternoon. :D :D

It's for a Junior Support Technician, I have never been it a formal interview before and was wondering what to expect.

I have read though previous threads about this topic, with general responses. Does any one know what kind of questions i will likely be asked?

Thanks

Adam

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My experience of formal interviews is that they are less about finding out what you can and can't do, and are more about finding you the person, what your views are, how you react in different situations, etc.

They may throw a few techy questions in there, but they are more likely to be there to see how you react, not about your soution (although that helps).

CV's and covering letters show the facts, the interview shows the person.

8)

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Also you might find yourself given a basic practical....."this PC's CDROM drive isn't working" - you open the case and find the IDE cable is half unplugged, that kinda thing..... but maybe you wont!

I agree that they'll be finding out about you, if you show your a strong team player and a good all round problem solver you'll be fine.

People these days employ problem solvers, opposed to techies (in my view!) :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Can I just say make sure you wear a shirt and tie. I went for a job interview the other day and I was rejected because I didn't wear a tie - which has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard. I had black trousers and a white shirt on so its not like I dressed in baggy jeans and a t-shirt. So i'm not sure if it was a genuine reason or they already had someone lined up for the job and thats the only reason they could think of not to hire me but don't take any chances, wear a tie!

5. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply guys, never been so nervous in my life and I've still got to sleep on it. Just popped up to Tesca Extra to buy an new tie to just in case.

Thanks again

Adam

6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Had my first IT interview yesterday! No tech questions asked, just generally what kind of experience I had. Having never worked in IT before just explained which O/S's I've used and installed, PC's I've built, troubleshooting issues for friends and family and that I've used loads of different packages (both standard and bespoke). Worked in that I'm still studying for my N+ and CCNA and that I've done a little bit of remote configuration (only my mums router but they seemed to like that). Made sure I got across the point that although I don't have formal experience I am very quick at picking things up and if I don't know something, I will find out the answer. Dropped in a few examples of problems I've come across and how I fixed them.
    I will say, if the company has a website make sure you've read it so you know what letting yourself in for. Seemed to help in the interview that I understood the key packages the company was offering and how they all fitted together and how the role I was applying for linked into that.
    Make sure you have a few questions lined up at the end but try not to make them about salary and more about the company.
    And as already mentioned; SUIT AND TIE!! Even if the weather has decided to make it uncomfortable to be formal :dry

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  7. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

I was a pack of nerves when i was traveling in to the city, but as soon as i met the interviewers i settled down. I was interviewed by 3 members of staff who were very pleasant. :biggrin

I think it when okay, even if i don't get the job, it was a very valuable experience.

Just keeping my fingers crossed. :unsure

Adam

8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey Adam,

Thats the spirit.... dont look at things as possible failures, always pick out the positives... even if you dont get the job you've learned from the interview and you can put into practice what you've learned at the next interview!

Fingers crossed for ya mate.

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fingers and toes crossed for you matey :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

I hope you get a positive response also (I passed two interviews, one about me as a person, conducted with two staff, the MD and the IT CEO, and a practical PC build test, where I built a functional, but basic build PC, and sucessfully managed to get the floppy ribbon cable the wrong way around, and some LED's, but soon rectified this), and I still managed to get the job!
    (and now that i'm working there, these two error's are the most common problems the more experienced staff make)!!!

Good luck Baron210 :oops:

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)