first 3 jobs....failure..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shaggy, Apr 5, 2007.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

you may remember i got a job as a Field Technician a while ago, well got my first 3 calls this week....and boy was i shocked

firstly, all 3 of them were internet connection problems, something which i HATE trying to set up

first job, guy got a wireless router for his sons xbox, wanted it hooked up to his modem, after hooking it all up correctly and double checking the settings were set right there was just no connection to the internet happening, had to write it off as a no fix no fee,

second job, even worse, it was for BT, a guys internet just suddenly stopped connecting, tried reinstalling, starting from scratch, cudnt do it wirelessly or wired, vista was having none of it and displayed errors to do with an MMC snap on that wouldnt let me check the WZC settings and drivers wouldnt re install dispite several different attempts, internet light just wouldnt light up!

third one wasnt so bad, guy upgraded to AOL 9 and it lost his connection, i had heard of connection problems after people did this and trying to log on to AOL sent me into a "AOL has been updated and needs to restart" loop, he accepted that AOL were crap and took my advice of changing ISP's.

i just feel bad that i couldnt get these connections working

just thought id share my first day in a new job experience with you

also, can anyone recomend any tech forums i can join so i can read up on problems and fixes to get a lil knowledge?

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Shaggy,

This forum is one of the best around for general IT problems (there are many sub forums, including an "internet" forum) and help on gaining valuble certification.

People often overlook the guides and user manuals manufacturers make, which are availible from the relevant website's.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Shaggy,

i understand. I worked a year for PC Callout, and i assume you are doing the same or maybe PC Doc?

I had all these issues too.
    To be honest its a good thing in a way as no fixes are sometimes the best way to make you learn, but not good as you try to earn, and people dont care what you know or dont know, they just expect you to know it all!!

Hope i can help if you need it.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You're not alone, Shaggy. I've "screwed the pooch" on more than one occasion while working as a tech for a wireless outfit. It happens. It also (once you get past how bad you feel) a good way of learning what you need to learn. Now that you've gone through "connectivity hell", go back and do some research as to why these problems might have happened and what the solutions could be.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Don't be too disappointed as the IT career field is that of continuous learning curve. Next time buy some time by telling customer you'd get back to them and throw the questions at us or better still do a google search.

Best wishes and stay focused and determined you'd make it.:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Very true. No-one knows everything, regardless of the field of work they are in. How many times have you been to the doctor where they shrug their shoulders? Not everything is as straight forward as it sometimes appears.
    Time will give you knowledge and experience with not just technical problems but how to deal with customers.

I tell people that if I have diagnosed a problem, rather than sit there and charge them more money, I will contact them later on with a cost - they usually appreciate your honesty, and you can also move on.

I wouldn't mention Google personally. We all know how great a search engine it is, but people might think "oh i can do that". Of course, they need to know where to look and what to do when they find the information!

Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

After doing this sort of thing for fun for the past 27 years, and doing it professionally for over a decade, I *still* look things up on Google to figure out weird problems. There's no way to remember every single thing that can go wrong with a problem. Only with experience can you start to develop an instinct as to what a problem is and where to start looking. Don't stress about it... it'll come, I promise, but it takes time... and quite a few of these "no fix" experiences.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!