Firewire problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jodsclass, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

OK Guys here it is. I have 2 firewire PCI boards in my machine, a Texas Instruments Firewire board, and a Via USB 2.0/Firewire expansion board. Both worked fine and I could capture DV from my camcorder (JVC GR D63) no problem. however the other day I was capturing some footage and the battery died in the cam (It was plugged into the wall but the outlet was off, duh). I turned the outlet on and windows wouldnt pick up the cam at all. I tried all sorts, no joy. So I formatted and re installed and still nothing. I have tried different cables, tried it with each board in different pci slots and hust using one card in the machine at a time. I can still capture using my Capture card and composite/line in, howvere the point of a DV cam is so you can transfer full res digital footage.

I have also tried the firewire fix, using sp1 drivers in sp2, and that didnt work. Do you think that the cam could be fried? somehow thinks its still plugged in? I cant find a way to factory reset the thing, and its really getting on my nerves now

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Jodsclass.

P.S. unfortunatley I dont have any other firewire devices to test the ports, grrrr

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds like its the camera mate. If windows is working ok and detecting the ports ok thats what it hints at.

Has anyone you know got a firewire device that you can try, and then try yours on theirs?

:blink

3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I can ask about. I know a few folks with macs so it shouldnt be a problem to test, its just finding the time to go visit (we now live up and down the country). Most of the peope I know around Manchester are either non techies, or too techie to use firewire.

Do you think Jessops or another Video Cam shop would let me test it on their machines or would they levy a charge for that?

Bloody thing. Firewire and XP dont work well when capturing DV IMHO. never been trouble free when it worked.

Cheers for the response Simon

jodsclass

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is possible that some of the setup in the camcorder got corrupted when the power died.

Most cameras have a reset, and also many menus to set it up again.

It is possible that something electrical has died - but I have found firewire to be quite robust.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hbroomhall

Eh? *Too* techie? Firewire is the only way to go with digital video...
    Firewire on my XP had been faultless. However - some of the Texas based firewire chips can be a pain

Harry.

6. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

By to techie I mean, they have no interest in filming or being filmed. There is a reset function in the menu but it doesnt reset the cam, just the user settings. I was pretty sure there would be a hard reset function on it incase the firmware crashed, but I cant find anything, and the documentation is poor to say the least.

As for firewire, Apparently JVC cameras work best with Texas based chipsets and seem to fall over on Via chipsets. Is there any tricks to factory reset a cam? I tried leaving the battery out for a few days but it seems to be backed up inside the unit as it keeps settings and time perfectly.

jodsclass

7. hbroomhall

If the CAM RESET function doesn't do it then you will need to involve others with similar equipment to diagnose which bit is in trouble.

If you were in the south east I'd suggest bringing it along to the computer fair I run a helpdesk at and we could try it with my kit.

Harry.

8. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks for the offer mate. I can deal with capturing using analog for now. Ill rebuild my linux box over the weekend and see if that can pick it up.

jodsclass

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

try leaving the battery out of the camera for a while and then re- fitted freshly charged.

you say you dont' have any other firewire devices to test on the XP machine but does the camera have a USB port for still capture? If so, it might be worth seeing if that side works...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Yep Boyce. It has a USB port for Stills capture And video capture at low resolution which works just fine. Its a puzzling problem. I have left the battery out for a week, pluged it back in and it still keeps its date and time so im guessing their is a small battery built into the unit. Its an absolute arse of a problem.

Its really got me stumped, Im just wondering if the power failure has caused the 1394 port on the cam unit itself to short or break. Maybe there was a small power surge.

Stupid that there is no Factory or hard reset option.

Jodsclass