Firewire DV Camera to PC without a firewire port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by derkit, Mar 23, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Evening guys and gals - got a thought-provoking problem for you tonight :twisted:

My girlfriends' parents has a digital video camera (with a tape - I thought it didn't if it was digital?!), anyhow, which has a firewire port on it. The computer we have doesn't have a firewire port, so I was looking for some sort of converter or similar.

Basically - DV camera ==> PC without firewire port on PC - any ideas??

Obvious one is get a Firewire PCI card but preferably the solution would have to work with any computer.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Firewire to USB any use?

http://www.everythingusb.com/news/index/3889.htm

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for - unfortunately they seem only US/Japan based, as well as its bit of a rush job (dumped on my lap tonight to be ready for next Thursday!!! )

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep, digital is digital regardless of the medium used to store the data. Tape is a perfect way to store digital video and it is very common.

Firewire to USB is possible, but if you want the best for digital transfer averages, then invest in a Firewire card.. they dont need drivers as such in windows XP and Vista will just recognise it as an IEEE 1394 interface but there are software downloads available from Microsoft that can improve performance for S400/800 devices.

Comparison to USB2..

More useful info at the source..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bluerinse is spot on. Don't try and get converters, get the proper thing. They are very cheap anyway.

In addition, many video editing apps won't recognize a video stream as DV unless it is being imported with Firewire.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Blue for clearing the tape issue up - I guess it makes sense, its digital no matter where its stored...doh!

My first reaction was a firewire card but I was trying to avoid a hardware install, mainly because I'm snowed with revision at the moment for this Friday, oh well, I'll pass the info back to them and let them decide what they want to do with it.

cheers again 8)