Finished setting up a BlackBerry Storm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onoski, Jan 8, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I was given a blackberry storm to setup for one of our high end users at work and must say my initial impressions were that of being satisfied.

However, the blackberry storm is the current high end smart phones being sold by blackberry at present and a possibly contender to the iphone.

Well the not too nteresting aspects of the blackberry storm, the touch screen is not as responsive as I would have loved it to be.

To be honest I did not read through the quick setup guide or user manual hence maybe my geeky side got the best of me:)

I have also heard that the iphone on the other hand is not as responsive when the touch screen is pressed etc. The blackberry desktop manager software was v4.7 and was installed without any aggravations whatsoever.

E-mail and text messaging must say it's up there and very sharp crystal clear LCD.

The device was synchronized with MS Outlook and this aspect was fine and it ported well with our BES server.

Quite recently I have also had experienced problems with the blackberry desktop manager software v4.3 as I get an error message about intellisynch. On the contrary I have used v4.2 and have had nothing but joy:)

This is the reason when I popped in the v4.7 CD ROM had some reservations as to if a higher version than v4.3 would be better and indeed it was.

Lastly, the end user was not a gadget type of lady so gave her the little info I picked up whilst using the device for only a short period. I advised her to consult the user guide for exhaustion.

All in all not a bad smart phone but would need time to get used to it's features to fully appreciate it's full capacity and potential.

I don't think personally I'd get a blackberry storm as wasn't too impressed by the response from the touch screen. But am seriously considering a blackberry bold 9000 or the Nokia E71:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

This is pretty much the most positive review i have seen for the Storm!

A colleague got one at launch to "test" before release to or users. First impression was that is a nice device. Attractive to look at, felt nice, improved browser, multimedia all looked nice...

Today, another colleague (previously desperate for the device) was offered the same Storm (after colleague 1 became sick of it) and turned it down. Feeling is (and i agree) that althought the Storm is a nice try and possibly good in the consumer market towards which it is aimed, but everything seems to take way too long. The "clickable" touch screen seems unresponsive and when tying a message you have to wait for the previous key to fully release before pressing the next. Doesnt seem a lot but it makes for a very clunky exerience. Normal day-to-day operations all seem to have an extra step. Then you get to the fact that the whole thing seems to randomly freeze...

In short, i like the device (although from the above you may not think it!) but i think i will wait a few revisions before getting one. For now i am still very happy with my 8110 Pearl.

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sold two - both of them came back within the end of the week.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Surely, it can't have been that bad?:(

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. Sparky

The guys just didn’t like them, I haven’t use one myself as we don’t have BES at work. Windows mobile for us!

The storm does seem to be raising the profile of Blackberry though, I have had a few of my smaller customers asking me to install BES which almost made me choke on my coffee. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Trust me it's not as bad as it looks or think:)

7. Sparky

Yup, its always the same when a new phone comes out. Some people rave about it and others think its cr@p.

Some users seem to have a different phone each week just now. Loads of good deals about, especially if you are changing provider.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Sparky, if you don't mind which model of the blackberry would you get if you were to own one? Cheerio:)

9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

The mixed reviews don't inspire me with confidence so I think I'll stick with my HTC Touch Diamond for now.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

How do you like it? I've recently gotten the pro but not too happy with the touch screen response.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The Storm looks great, not had the chance to play with one yet. Most of the handsets on our BES are boring and plain.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. Sparky

....good business handsets then. :biggrin

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I got given one the day it came out in the UK - our MD was getting one and I was asked to switch my Pearl over to a Storm so that I could help him out if (when) he needed it - I'm always the last one out of the office at night so often get collared to help out senior bods with gadgets they don't understand.

However, after less than half a day it drove me absolutely nuts and I gave it to one of the other guys for a Storm instead - much, much better - though the battery life absolutely sucks.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It's good to hear that you prefer the Storm instead as I only had a day to setup the device as well as get used to some of it's features.

To be honest it's quite a high end smart phone and hence not surprised if the battery life is restricted.