Finding local companies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Aug 19, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

You can find some IT Support companies on yell.com and you can also use google maps, but does anyone know if you can search for local IT companies and search for vacancies? instead of going to every single web site and manually checking?

Also how do people usually go about looking for internal IT Support roles? whereby it is not a particular IT service company, but any old company that has lots of IT users and needs internal IT Support of its employees.

Or, a website that searches for IT vacancies from company web sites, rather than agencies?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I seldom use agencies, I search a wide range of sites and job papers/mags once a week. While I may not be actively looking for a new role, it doesn't hurt to see what's up there and what requirements they are looking for.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Same here, i buy the Evening Standard and Guardian newspapers. Every wednesday they have a I.T. section. The Times is another good one. I have gone off agencies...don't think they help that much to be honest.

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Look in your local :

Chamber of Trade directory of business

Yellow Pages

Try local Uni/College list of business connections

Then you pick a company, check their wesbite and write a very targetted and focused CV with covering letter.

Then make sure you follow up with a phone call.

A very time consuming process but it can be very productive and let you access the "hidden" job market of those vacancies not advertised.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've just had a brainwave. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner.

I'm compiling a list of companies to send a speculative CV to. Instead of just searching for entry level positions I'm now looking at all IT positions in my area. If a company is looking for a 2nd/3rd line tech, they must have some 1st line techs ferreted away somewhere.
    A good way to catch any that might have slipped under my "big enough to have an IT department" radar.8)

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job